DropBox Sync

ddoyle777

I am really happy to have the Dropbox sync - this will save a lot of file shuffling and wondering if i remembered to copy files to the laptop. Thanks!

How often does the automatic sync run? Will it update files on every highlight, or every 5 minutes, etc?

Does Accordance automatically update on start up?

Thanks,

David Doyle

If you've enabled automatic syncing, it does it roughly every 10 minutes, or less. As you make updates, it will synchronize those updates up to Dropbox much sooner than every 10 minutes (e.g. Highlights get synced up every minute or so), but it will check in case other changes are made (from your phone, other macs, etc.) about every 10 minutes. If you keep the Dropbox Sync item on your toolbar, you can quickly manually sync from there, and its help tag will let you know how long till the next sync.

Thanks Joel. First glance says you guys did an excellent job here.

I was hoping it wasn't second by second, but would be quick enough to work as an automatic backup.

Looks like it will be perfect!
DD

The Dropbox sync feature is absolutely awesome! I definitely prefer this over what I call an active cloud like feature similar to what Logos uses.

I used the Dropbox sync between my desktop and laptop. It worked perfectly. When i tried the sync with my iPad I got an error. Am I doing something wrong?

post-29479-0-74132400-1373652909_thumb.png

I used the Dropbox sync between my desktop and laptop. It worked perfectly. When i tried the sync with my iPad I got an error. Am I doing something wrong?

I "unlinked" my dropbox account in the Settings on my iPad and then relinked and everything is working...

My User Notes on my laptop do not seem to sync with my iPhone 5 through DropBox. I have the preferences set to automatic sync. I also used the manual sync, and when I did, it showed a dialog box on my laptop that new notes were being downloaded to the DropBox folder on my laptop. I have the DropBox app on my iPhone. I can see the Apps folder, the Accordance folder inside the Apps folder, and the User Notes folder inside that. All my User Notes are there. But when I look at the notes in Accordance on the iPhone, they are not updated from the ones I changed a day earlier on my laptop. I'm not overly familiar with DropBox, but have used in for several months. What's my problem?

John,

I'm assuming that you've also turned on Dropbox syncing in our iPhone app? If so, you might try unlinking an relinking the iOS app with Dropbox.

Scott.

I, too, am very impressed with the Dropbox syncing. I used to try to remember to edit a user notes or highlights only on my laptop, then would transfer the updated files to desktop. What a pain. The whole process is now effortless. Thank you. You folks are the very best!

Ah, that was the solution. I originally looked in the Accordance app in the iPhone Settings, and didn't see anything for DropBox, rather than in the settings of the Accordance app itself. Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just one thing I'm not clear on ...

Does automatic syncing happen in the iOS app like on the mac? Or does one still have to initiate a manual sync when using the former?

Thanks.

I still need to manually sync my notes on my iPhone. So if there is a way for it to happen automatically, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks, Tim. That doesn't sound hopeful. But it will be interesting to see if anyone else can tell us something more definitive.

Dropbox syncing in the iOS app must still be performed manually. We plan to make it happen automatically in a future release.

• Like 1

Thought that might have been the case. Thanks Scott.

I've had two disastrous highlight sync crashes. Accordance for Mac synced highlights, but for some reason something went wrong and it crashed. Then I couldn't even launch it. Had to replace highlight file with the old one from the ~/Documents/Accordance Files folder. Original was 800kB, while synced file was 100kB size. Two times it happened on Friday evening.

Guntis,

Can you explain what you mean by "replace highlight file with the old one from the ~/Documents/Accordance Files folder"?

Edited by Scott Knapp

• 2 weeks later...

Guntis,

Can you explain what you mean by "replace highlight file with the old one from the ~/Documents/Accordance Files folder"?

I mean exactly that — replace Highlights file from the Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/Highlights folder with the one from the ~/Documents/Accordance Files/Highlights folder.

Edited by Guntis

Those two folders should be kept in sync automatically by the Dropbox syncing feature. So I don't understand why syncing would screw up the versions in your Documents folder since they should be the same as the ones in your Dropbox folder. What are the names of your Highlight files? And do you have any aliases to them pointing somewhere else?

Edited by Scott Knapp

I started another topic somewhere else but thought i would ask here if anyone else has had an issue with dropbox syncing.

1. I started the sync with drop box on IOS a while ago. Worked great, built the folders and all.

2. Updated Desktop app and hit sync to dropbox all went fine, or seemed to with Dropbox pulling up a window to ask if I wanted to let it sync. Preference window shows select dropbox and says unlinked

3. Hit sync again x10 another window with request each time Sync on ios working fine.

4. delete folder in dropbox resync from desktop

5. No folder created

6. Try 3x = Same refence window still shows unlinked.

= Flumaxed

Well hit link to dropbox a few times more and it finally linked. Went back and synced to dropbox and it is syncing as I type

Edited by Michael Eppley

• 2 weeks later...

Those two folders should be kept in sync automatically by the Dropbox syncing feature. So I don't understand why syncing would screw up the versions in your Documents folder since they should be the same as the ones in your Dropbox folder. What are the names of your Highlight files? And do you have any aliases to them pointing somewhere else?

It should stay in sync, but for some reason didn't. After those few incidents no more problems. I don't use aliases. Name of the highlighter file is Studies.hlt