Diagramming Bugs

Jonathan Hicks

I have used Accordance quite a bit to diagram. It's a feature I really love and have appreciated the upgrades for version 8. Here are a couple bugs that I have noticed:

- I copy the book, chapter, and verse in when I am selecting the text I want to diagram (my GNT-T is set to display Separate verses with space and put reference before each verse). The last 2 days these references have been doing really weird things. I'm in Mark 1:4-8 and 1:9-15. Instead of showing Mark 1:4, sometimes the text will switch over and show Nbsl 2;5, etc. (basically the next letter or character after the one it is supposed to show). If I click on it to change it, then it will show the correct reference, but will sometimes switch back whenever I click off again. It seems to help to change the font or some stylistic feature of the reference. (I have never seen this until Acc 8)

- Sometimes when I hit CMD + S for Save, when I go back later it has not saved. I save frequently as I go along because it's tedious work that I don't want to have to redo. It usually gets the Save the first time, but sometimes subsequent saves don't work. I end up going manually to File, Save As and then overwriting the previous file to make sure that it saves properly. (Have had this problem with 7.4.2 through 8.1.3)

- My professor doesn't allow computers in class, so I need to print my diagrams. When I am at the library, I'll print them as pdfs until I can get home to print later. Sometimes it will show up blank or with only a few words over 3 pages of diagramming. Then I'll do it again and the pdf will appear as it should. (I think this is a new problem to Acc 8)

- I like to diagram with my page horizontal. I think I can get the most stuff on the page this way. So I change the Page Setup to one of the landscape views. When I save and close, it doesn't keep this selection, but opens up the page in vertical. Is there a way that Saving can capture information such as page orientation as well? (Have had this problem with 7.4.2 through 8.1.3)

Thanks for a great product.

I have used Accordance quite a bit to diagram. It's a feature I really love and have appreciated the upgrades for version 8. Here are a couple bugs that I have noticed:

- I copy the book, chapter, and verse in when I am selecting the text I want to diagram (my GNT-T is set to display Separate verses with space and put reference before each verse). The last 2 days these references have been doing really weird things. I'm in Mark 1:4-8 and 1:9-15. Instead of showing Mark 1:4, sometimes the text will switch over and show Nbsl 2;5, etc. (basically the next letter or character after the one it is supposed to show). If I click on it to change it, then it will show the correct reference, but will sometimes switch back whenever I click off again. It seems to help to change the font or some stylistic feature of the reference. (I have never seen this until Acc 8)

I cannot reproduce this bug.

- Sometimes when I hit CMD + S for Save, when I go back later it has not saved. I save frequently as I go along because it's tedious work that I don't want to have to redo. It usually gets the Save the first time, but sometimes subsequent saves don't work. I end up going manually to File, Save As and then overwriting the previous file to make sure that it saves properly. (Have had this problem with 7.4.2 through 8.1.3)

I cannot reproduce this bug. It saves for me whatever change I make to the window. Is your diagram in a workspace or a detached window?

I suggest that you try repairing your disk permissions with Disk Utility, especially for the first problem which you say is new. Had you made any changes to your settings?

- My professor doesn't allow computers in class, so I need to print my diagrams. When I am at the library, I'll print them as pdfs until I can get home to print later. Sometimes it will show up blank or with only a few words over 3 pages of diagramming. Then I'll do it again and the pdf will appear as it should. (I think this is a new problem to Acc 8)

You can check how the Print to PDF will look by doing a Preview. I checked this, and when I have a selection it prints only the selection, even if I choose print or command-P. This is a bug which we will fix.

- I like to diagram with my page horizontal. I think I can get the most stuff on the page this way. So I change the Page Setup to one of the landscape views. When I save and close, it doesn't keep this selection, but opens up the page in vertical. Is there a way that Saving can capture information such as page orientation as well? (Have had this problem with 7.4.2 through 8.1.3)

Thanks for a great product.

This last is a change in Accordance 7, for technical reasons we cannot save the page setup with the windows, sorry!

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. I have had trouble reproducing some of my own problems again, which is a good thing.

One last thing that I've noticed that is a new issue from 7 to 8 is that the grid is slightly off when you drag something or use your arrow keys to move something. If I drag with my mouse a word or a number of items to reproduce in another diagram, then want to add something onto it and try to line it up using the arrow keys, I always end up a pixel off in either direction. The only way to correct is to then select the components originally dragged by mouse and move them with the mouse first one step different and then right back to their original position, except now they will be lined up with the rest of the elements that were only moved by the arrow keys.

It seems like a small deal, but it's nice to have everything on the same grid without having to either choose only to use mouse or arrow keys, or readjust every element. This wasn't a problem in 7 so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm using 8.1.3. Thanks for the help.

Archived