Any news on Accordance windows?

Anthony

Just wondering if there is any new news on the release of this product. I'm really anxious to use Accordance on Windows.

I wasn't at SBL, but I saw a picture of Accordance on a Windows machine on someone's blog (can't remember where now)... so at least we know it's real. Thanks for asking, though, Anthony--I'm curious, too.

I can't remember which of the Accordance staff said this on the forums a while back (Dr. J?), but they mentioned some "head-to-head" speed trials with other Windows-based programs (=BibleWorks), which could be very interesting! I'm especially curious to see how a program that integrates so well into the Mac platform does and feels in Windows. I'm assuming the staff will do a great job with it.

I wasn't at SBL, but I saw a picture of Accordance on a Windows machine on someone's blog (can't remember where now)... so at least we know it's real.

I remember! I am sure you saw it at:

http://bibleandtech.blogspot.jp/2012/11/accordance-at-sbl-2012.html

Like the original poster, I too am really excited about the coming of Accordance for Windows!

I am currently running Accordance on the emulator for the PC, and that's much better than not running Accordance at all! However, I'd really like to start purchasing more modules for my current collection but it's somewhat tricky add modules to the emulator in a 64bit version of Windows. Well, like they say, "good things come to those whom wait"...

Edited by bkMitchell

2013 has over 11 months to run, and we have not announced which month will see the release of the Windows version, so you all have plenty of time to practice patience.

• Like 2

...you all have plenty of time to practice patience.

This, is true unless I succumb to the temptation to buy a Macbook pro.

Anyway, please do take your time and be well prepared.I have a funny feeling you're going to experience an influx of new users when Accordance for Windows finally launches.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, are you able to say which operating systems will you support?

I had assumed windows 7 because that was current when you first made the announcement.

What about XP as there are still a lot out there despite not being supported? AVID tried not to but had to include it as a lot of educational places still run it.

Or are you aiming straight at 8 so can port over to the 8 mobile system?

Thanks.

My understanding is that Accordance for Windows, once released, will run on any reasonably current version of Windows. However, we have no plans to develop it for Windows RT, which is sometimes referred to as "Windows mobile." It is a totally different program than Windows.

Anyway, please do take your time and be well prepared.I have a funny feeling you're going to experience an influx of new users when Accordance for Windows finally launches.

I may succumb to the temptation of buying a copy or two for some folks I know once the Windows version comes out. :)

Go ahead and succumb. That is unless you really like dealing with anti-virus software. And jumping through all kinds of hoops to install every piece of software. And having your OS take up 20G of your HD?

I love my MBP. It's over 4 years old and still going strong. We've never had a Mac (or other Apple) die on us and we've owned them for over 25 years. Resale, even after 5 years, is good. My MBP would currently fetch at least $700 on eBay.

That said, I am still anticipating the release of Accordance for Windows because so many of my students have never used anything but Windows. I would rather gift our graduates with an Accordance gift certificate than a hardback book.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

I'm with Julie--if you've got the money and think it a wise use, go for the Mac. Once you go Mac....

Hi, are you able to say which operating systems will you support? I had assumed windows 7 because that was current when you first made the announcement. What about XP as there are still a lot out there despite not being supported? AVID tried not to but had to include it as a lot of educational places still run it. Or are you aiming straight at 8 so can port over to the 8 mobile system? Thanks.

We expect the Windows version to run on Windows XP and up, through Windows 8, excepting Windows RT as explained above. We are well aware that many Windows users have stayed with XP, just as some Mac users prefer Snow Leopard to Lion/Mountain Lion.

I have been using Windows 7 without antivirus since Fall without any problems. Most viruses probably come through ad banners. I don't use forums that have a lot of or an suspect ad banners, and I pay an annual fee of $20 to Christianforums to get rid of banners completely. I don't use Firefox (I don't like it and don't have enough disk space for it) so I can't easily turn off banners with an add-on:

Go ahead and succumb. That is unless you really like dealing with anti-virus software. And jumping through all kinds of hoops to install every piece of software.

Edited by Unix

Thanks Helen. That is great news about XP as I'm still running it on my desktop. (And I am still on snow leopard with accordance 9 which I am very happy with.)

;o)

Hello Julie,

Go ahead and succumb. That is unless you really like dealing with anti-virus software. And jumping through all kinds of hoops to install every piece of software. And having your OS take up 20G of your HD?

Whenever, my current notebook dies I'm going to get a MacBook Pro. I'll probably have to order it online though; I am not aware of any stores in my area that have a decent selection to pick from.

BK - We don't have an Apple Store nearby, either. The nearest one is in Knoxville, at least 90 minutes' drive. There are two authorized Mac-only resellers in the area now, however. I need to check them out and see what their selection is like. Given a choice, I plan to wait until the next refresh/upgrade.

Here are the current predictions on MacRumors: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/apples-2013-product-roadmap-predictions-multiple-iphones-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/.

And here is where you go to decide whether to buy now or wait a bit: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com. You don't want to buy a new laptop right before the next models hit the market.

The predictions are that all the MBPs are going Retina + SSD. We've already seen a huge price drop, but the machines are still pretty expensive. With current Retina MBPs, you can upgrade the drives, but not the memory, so you need to max out the memory when you buy. We'll have to wait and see if that is still true with this year's models.

With the push to get lighter and thinner laptops, solder seems to be replacing connectors. I guess I'm OK with that, but have really liked being to upgrade a year or two down the road with my Macs. Those days may be coming to an end.

I don't think you'll ever regret moving to a Mac. Great hardware and design. Great OS (that only takes up 5.6G of your drive).

• 3 months later...

Any news yet on this release? I'm patiently waiting. :)

We are now officially in beta testing (closed, for a small team of testers), and hope to release in a few months.

• Like 1

If you decide/need to widen the pool of beta testers at some point, I'd be interested. I have experience beta testing other software.

Anthony, your patience will be rewarded, initial impressions are it is light years ahead of Pradis which I have been using and can't wait to delete!

Helen Brown,

Thank you so much for alerting us to Rick Mansfield's blog!

From what I can see in the screen shot of Accordance on Mansfield's blog Accordance looks just as beautiful on Windows as it does on the Mac (to my eyes at least)!