Finding Hapax legomena?

miqraot

I want to find Hapax legomena. According to Jewish Encyclopedia (www. JewishEncyclopedia.com) there are about 400 hapax legomena in the Bible.

Is there a method to find hapax legomena with Accordance?

or

How to find special words which appear two or three times in the Bible?

I want to find Hapax legomena. According to Jewish Encyclopedia (www. JewishEncyclopedia.com) there are about 400 hapax legomena in the Bible.

Is there a method to find hapax legomena with Accordance?

or

How to find special words which appear two or three times in the Bible?

Yes, you can use the "Count" command, which you can either type in or find under the Search menu. For example, [Count 1] will return all hapax legomena while [Count 2-3] will find words occurring two or three times.

Note that the Range pop-up menu must be set to All Text in order to find true instances of Hapax legomena.

• 1 year later...

If I would like to find the hapaxes that only occur in Pastoral epistles, is it the correct way to do so?

[count 1] <and> [range 1Tim]

How about if I want to exclude the proper name?

Thank you.

Your search is correct, and you can qualify the COUNT thus:

[COUNT 1]@-[NOUN proper] [RANGE 1Tim]

to eliminate proper nouns, but it makes no difference in this range so I suppose 1Tim does not have any proper names that are also hapaxes.

Thank you, Helen.

• 1 year later...

That would actually not find the hapax legomenon in 1 Timothy. Technically, a hapax legomenon are words that occur in a single corpus. So a word can occur more than one time in 1 Timothy but cannot occur outside it.

Do you know how to do a search that would account for words only found in a certain book?

You would be correct except that when the pop-up range is set to All text, the count refers to that range, so the above search is finding true hapaxes in 1 Tim. If you set the range in the pop-up the count is how many times it occurs in that range.

• 9 months later...

How can I find words that for example occur twice in the Epistle of James and nowhere else in the New Testament?

Firstly, to find all the words that are unique to James you would:

1. Create a search range for all the other books (this only works with the Range pop-up menu, which may be a bug).
  2. Open a search tab and search for Words with an * to find every word, with the range set to your non-James books.
  3. Open another Search tab and search for [Range James] *-[HITS first tab]

This highlights every lemma that is unique to James.

Now to limit that search to words that occur twice, make the search entry

[Range James] [COUNT 2]@-[HITS first tab name]

Note that only in the latest Accordance can you use the RANGE command without an adjacent command.

James2.png

Hi Helen

Are you missing an @ in the search [Range James] *-[HITS first tab]?

Should it be [Range James] *@-[HITS first tab]

You would be correct except that when the pop-up range is set to All text, the count refers to that range, so the above search is finding true hapaxes in 1 Tim. If you set the range in the pop-up the count is how many times it occurs in that range.

Tnak you both. That was really helpful.

• 2 years later...

Hello

I've searched for Hapax Legomenas in the Vetus Latina with [COUNT 1]. 

But I found out, that Accordance is case sensitive with a Flex and a Word search. 

The search above found e.g. Congregetur in Gen 1,9. But this word has Hits with congregetur too.

How do I a search to get the result which I want?

Thanks for your help.

Greetings

Fabian