iOS Comments

Sean R.

I've been a bit underwhelmed with the Accordance iOS app interface. It's incrementally improving, and I think it will develop into a very robust, elegant app. Once I got past the developing interface, however, I discovered the iOS app is VERY powerful. It provides by far the most comprehensive set of search capabilities of any mobile Bible app. I can do pretty much any search with Accordance on my iPad that I do using the Mac version. While it doesn't yet provide the best mobile reading experience, I'd encourage you to explore its search capabilities.

Of course, the reality is that most of us utilize mobile Bible apps simply for reading. And in this area, Accordance iOS has a good ways to go.

1322939674[/url]' post='30335']

I have also turned off the Assistant Window, the intentions were good but it doesn't help much.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said: "Perhaps my struggle stems from not having a clean vision of a starting workflow for studying the Bible using Accordance." Those are my thoughts exactly. Why aren't there any pre-configured workspaces designed for specific types of study? Another problem I have is trying to understand just how all of the additional tools (commentaries, dictionaries etc..) come into play in Accordance. I can't help but mention how intuitive the Resource Manager is in Olive Tree's iPad BibleReader (and now their Mac BibleReader).

Again, I'm not putting Accordance down, there's nothing out there that I'm aware of that is as fast and powerful as Accordance when doing a search. However, the Resource Manager in Olive Tree just pulls everything together for me in that App and helps me to see the BIG picture at a glance in using a digital Bible with additional resources. Olive Tree's software is mainly designed for the iPad, and the Mac version is just an extension of the mobile version, but their iPad version is excellent, and with as many tools and resources that Accordance offers, their iPad application seems to be no more then a simple basic text reader as the user interface is quite frankly the poorest I've seen in a mobile Bible app. So, I foresee using Accordance primarily as my "at home via desktop/laptop" study, research and documentation gathering tool, but Olive Tree as my main mobile Bible tool. As a matter of fact, when I start running out of room on my 64 GB iPad, Accordance will be removed before any other Bible application I currently own, it's just not that useful to be honest.

I've been a bit underwhelmed with the Accordance iOS app interface. It's incrementally improving, and I think it will develop into a very robust, elegant app. Once I got past the developing interface, however, I discovered the iOS app is VERY powerful. It provides by far the most comprehensive set of search capabilities of any mobile Bible app. I can do pretty much any search with Accordance on my iPad that I do using the Mac version. While it doesn't yet provide the best mobile reading experience, I'd encourage you to explore its search capabilities.

Of course, the reality is that most of us utilize mobile Bible apps simply for reading. And in this area, Accordance iOS has a good ways to go.

Hi, Everyone!

I think it is fair to say that Accordance, as a company, has always concerned itself with functionality first and esthetics second. The second thing I have observed is how its feature set is often shaped by ongoing dialog with users. Over the years, that combo has produced a mature, feature-rich, robust desktop application in Accordance 9. In addition to adding and improving features, the desktop app has received a number of cosmetic "face lifts" over the years.

However, Accordance iOS is still in its infancy, as one can see by its version number: 1.3. While our users initially asked just for a simple reader for their modules, their enthusiasm for the iOS app continues to challenge us to make it better. I think you will find the feature set of the next version, 1.4, to be very impressive. I've been working with the beta version for awhile now and I can tell you it blows the socks off anything else I have seen in a mobile Bible app.

With the initial feature set now complete [or nearly so], our team can now turn our attention to improving the "esthetics," the enhanced reading experience that mobile users have come to expect. We have lots of app models to consider: iBooks, Kindle, Nook, eReader, OverDrive, and yes, even the app produced by our good friends over at Olive Tree.

We would also like to hear from you, our users. What kinds of changes would you like to see in our iOS app that would improve your reading experience? [i personally would like to wrap my iPhone in leather and put a drop of "new book smell" cologne on it! ;-)].

Post your comments here.

• 3 weeks later...

The updated help files for ios 1.4 are a great help.

Archived