Unicode Greek/Hebrew Fonts

freney

I use Greek and Hebrew biblical texts regularly, but I almost always export them in unicode to external programs. It's more portable, and I'm assured of being able to read my data in a few years time even if I no longer have the Helena or Yehudit font packages.

Using unicode also means I can send people documents that they can read, even if they don't own accordance themselves.

However, there's not a lot of great Hebrew fonts for Unicode characters. Cardo is ok, but it tends to muck up the placement of dagesh points and meteg characters in particular, so it ends up looking quite off.

Would it be possible to extend the ranges of the bundled original language fonts to cover the unicode spaces as well? That is, for Yehudit (for example), keep the basic key mapping as it is, but copy the glyphs over to the unicode versions of that character?

We could then have the best of both worlds - the beautiful fonts that ship with accordance, plus portability.

Thanks,

Sam.

However, there's not a lot of great Hebrew fonts for Unicode characters. Cardo is ok, but it tends to muck up the placement of dagesh points and meteg characters in particular, so it ends up looking quite off.

On the contrary, there are a good many good quality Unicode Hebrew fonts available. A number can be found linked from the Mellel Font Page. The placements of vowel points can be a problem, but this is usually an issue with the Mac, not the font. I use Mellel and it doesn't rely on the the Mac's font display engine, so it often works with fonts that otherwise do not work with other Mac word processors.

Archived