Let Concordia Know How Accordance Users Feel about Luther on Accordance vs. Logos Exclusivity

R. Mansfield

From Paul McCain's blog:

We need to know and understand your feelings, opinions, suggestions, thoughts on Concordia Publishing House and technology. Would you take a few minutes to

I'd love to hear from thousands of Accordance users that they want Luther resources in Accordance and then to hear from Accordance that they are willing dramatically to change their business model to make it happen. But first, we need the thousands of Accordance users demanding the resources.

So, by all means...let us hear from Accordance users.

Paul:

At Accordance we have no idea what you mean by "willing dramatically to change their business model to make it happen." Please reply on or off the forum and let us know what about our business model hinders your licensing Concordia materials to us. You have never mentioned this before in the multiple refusals we and our users have received from you.

And why do we need thousands of responses to the survey? Surely a decent proportion of responses requesting Accordance modules would demonstrate the interest.

Paul:

At Accordance we have no idea what you mean by "willing dramatically to change their business model to make it happen." Please reply on or off the forum and let us know what about our business model hinders your licensing Concordia materials to us. You have never mentioned this before in the multiple refusals we and our users have received from you.

And why do we need thousands of responses to the survey? Surely a decent proportion of responses requesting Accordance modules would demonstrate the interest.

Actually, Helen, I have pointedly made reference to how we do business with proprietary software vendors, to Accordance staff, several times, as well as to folks who talk to me about this. Those comments are lost in the emotions of those who want CPH resources in Accordance format.

Key for us is reaching critical mass of customers who would actually be willing to pay for our resources in Accordance format.

Now that LOGOS is Mac native it is a difficult decision to consider offering our intellectual property in Accordance format, but if there are thousands of Accordance customers who would commit to purchase CPH intellectual property, and if there are favorable terms from Accordance, not licensing our resources to you and getting paid royalties for it, we might consider it, if we can show a favorable ROI.

But both factors have to be in place for this to be a go.

PTM

I am not aware that you have ever discussed the terms of an arrangement with us. We have different arrangements with different publishers. Some choose to publish themselves and others to license to us. I don't get involved in these discussions. I do think that licensing to us has some advantages to the publisher: they have no up front costs, and we can produce the CD-ROMs in smaller quantities and update them as needed, according to demand. Thus the risk of developing the product and then finding that the demand is less than expected falls entirely on our shoulders, and all the publisher has to do is to cash the royalty checks.

Since we are willing to discuss any model of licensing/publishing, I still do not see what business model we need to change. I will let our contracts manager discuss the details more intelligently than I can.

Thanks Helen.

He can send me details at: paul.mccain@cph.org

Thanks,

PTM

Concordia has nothing to lose and everything to gain by allowing Accordance to publish Luther's works. What ROI? There is NOTHING that Concordia would have to invest in this. All the expense would be paid by Oak Tree. As Helen says, all Concordia would have to do is cash the checks.

What I don't understand is why Paul McCain can't perceive that Logos' success does not have to be at Accordance's failure--which is always the perception I infer in these discussions. It doesn't have to be either/or--there's no reason why it cannot be both/and. I understand that Paul McCain does not like Accordance and is wild about Logos. That's fine. But there's no reason why both companies can't succeed. And to essentially keep the reigns tightened on Luther's works when there are many of us who would purchase it if available for the Accordance platform is simply poor business on McCain & Concordia's part.

• Like 1

I own both Accordance and Libronix for the Mac, and I personally am not impressed with the Libronix offering for the Mac. I would however be interested in CPH products for Accordance.

Pastor Ed Cross

.... But there's no reason why both companies can't succeed....

Amen to that, Rick! As we have discussed before, I use Libronix (Windows version in VMware) primarily for reading books, but Accordance is where I do my heavy lifting in my Biblical studies. If it were in my power, I would instantly grant Accordance the rights and resources to publish all Biblical resources that are available. It is a better designed program and we get the best tech support (Thank you, Helen and everyone else) one could possibly want.

Thanks Helen.

He can send me details at: paul.mccain@cph.org

Thanks,

PTM

Fascinating (and rare) interaction seen publicly on a forum.

I LOVE it.

Tom

I agree with that other guy: Why does it have to be a Libronix vs. Accordance battle? In my experience, you either like Libronix or you hate it. I had Libronix and wondered if Bill Gates himself had designed it (since it was so difficult to use and unstable). But, I know other guys who wouldn't consider anything else. Either way, it still brings us back to the same question: Can't CPH make money from both Logos and Accordance?

Now, I don't foresee a flood of people (i.e. "thousands") clamoring to buy Luther's Works, since many people who use Accordance (just like many of those who use Libronix) are not Lutherans. But, it would make money. I know I'd save up money to buy the stuff. I'm tired of taking down volume [insert Luther's works volume number here] from the shelf.

Is there any way we can get McCain and Helen to sit down around a table with a pitcher of good beer and work this thing out? I'd be happy to buy the beer.

Just a thought.

Is there any way we can get McCain and Helen to sit down around a table with a pitcher of good beer and work this thing out? I'd be happy to buy the beer.

:) That's going to be a little difficult as I am currently in the UK for a series of three seminars, and I have never had a beer in my life.

It's also unnecessary as a fruitful discussion off forum is currently underway between our contract manager and Paul McCain.

Thus this thread can certainly be used to express interest in CPH materials, and which ones you are most interested in buying in Accordance, but there is no longer any need to use it to bash our heads together.

Thus this thread can certainly be used to express interest in CPH materials, and which ones you are most interested in buying in Accordance

Glad to hear that discussions are underway. And I agree, the forum probably isn't the best place to get that done.

I would save up and *buy* Luther's Works, The Formula of Concord (i.e. the creeds and confessions), and maybe even the LSB. I have the normal ESV study bible for Accordance. And the study notes underwhelmed me. It would be nice to compare them to the LSB.

I am VERY heartened and hopeful that CPH will make its electronic resources available in Accordance. Many cheers and thanks to all who have voiced and urged and encouraged.

I would quickly purchase Luther's Works, the new TLSB (The Lutheran Study Bible), the Concordia Commentary series, the Book of Concord (preferably the recent translation by Kolb and Wengret, but I'll take what I can get), and the Concordia Electronic Theological Library.

The TLSB is a new, original set of notes to the ESV, in volume much like the Crossway study bible, but with some new things (like comments from the Church Fathers).

The Concordia Commentary series is a conservative, exegetical commentary based on the original languages. I find it generally more useful than the NICOT/NICNT and even the NIGTC.

The CETL is a 9 part collection of systematics, biblical and doctrinal material spanning the 20th century back to the 16th century, and entry-lay level to graduate seminary level.

All these are already in electronic format except for TLSB which is due out on Oct 31 (Reformation Day for Lutherans).

I have paper copies of all these and a few in Mac-libronix. But I rarely use the libronix because it is foreign, awkward (for me) and just not where I do most of my exegetical and instruction preparation work, which is in Accordance. For me, Accordance has a good form of tunnel vision ... the Bible is always in the center but I can tunnel out to a variety of resources I might need quickly and easily. Libronix has too "flat a playing field". Every work seems to be equivalent to all others and if the links happen to be there it "might" be what I need, and it might not. This "flat field" has me spending too much time on distractions chasing rabbits. Accordance's search and reporting tools are awesome and natural after a little practice. In short, its all right there at my fingertips without distracting extra screens/windows/panes/dialogs/menus and other interface methods. It allows me to refine my workflow, build custom environments for different kinds of studies and have a wealth of really cool resources that turn scholarly black & white into dynamic colorful insights.

Thanks again for all your patience and a wonderful piece of software! God made human intellect for something and this is a good example!

Blessings in the risen Lord!

We are, as Helen reported, "in negotiations" and they are progressing. If it would help, I would gladly go to England, on Accordance's dime, and would drink the beer Helen would not have. :rolleyes:

I doubt that will be necessary, as Greg Ward from Accordance and I are in the midst of fruitful dialogue.

Key for us at Concodia Publishing House is the answer to the question: How many Accordance users would purchase CPH resources if they were available in Accordance?

In order to ascertain that information, please be sure to take our presently running technology survey and be sure to add to the "comment" box that you are an Accordance user and what you would buy and would want to see by way of CPH resources in Accordance.

When you take the survey you are automatically entered in a random drawing to receive a free copy of The Lutheran Study Bible when it is available next October. We are giving away ten copies to survey participants.

Thanks for participating in the survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=t_2b...M9QDSFKgw_3d_3d

If you believe that Logos Mac is a viable alternative for the Mac platform, then you haven't attempted to do any serious Bible study with that release. At present, Logos Mac is little more than a library reader. I use Logos Windows extensively and purchased Scholars Gold in the Mac version. The Mac version will not reach feature equality with the Windows version for many years to come, if ever.

If this is your business model, you have a short-sited marketing strategy.

Jack

Actually, Helen, I have pointedly made reference to how we do business with proprietary software vendors, to Accordance staff, several times, as well as to folks who talk to me about this. Those comments are lost in the emotions of those who want CPH resources in Accordance format.

Key for us is reaching critical mass of customers who would actually be willing to pay for our resources in Accordance format.

Now that LOGOS is Mac native it is a difficult decision to consider offering our intellectual property in Accordance format, but if there are thousands of Accordance customers who would commit to purchase CPH intellectual property, and if there are favorable terms from Accordance, not licensing our resources to you and getting paid royalties for it, we might consider it, if we can show a favorable ROI.

But both factors have to be in place for this to be a go.

PTM

Key for us at Concordia Publishing House is the answer to the question: How many Accordance users would purchase CPH resources if they were available in Accordance?

Paul - I have taken the survey and shared my thoughts.

I would happily pay for Luther's Works, the Lutheran Study Bible and the Concordia Commentary series if available on Accordance. Until that happens, I'll relegate myself to the print copies...Which I love, although the search feature is a bit antiquated. :)

We are, as Helen reported, "in negotiations" and they are progressing. If it would help, I would gladly go to England, on Accordance's dime, and would drink the beer Helen would not have. :rolleyes:

Paul, I shall gladly hoist a pint with you at a some place and time in the near future! :P

Greg

I, too, completed the survey, but didn't add that I was an Accordance user. However, I did comment that it would be great to have the resources available natively for the Mac and not locked into one company/format.

Rev. McCain knows how I feel :D but I'll add my $0.02 here as well: I would love, and pay dearly for, CPH products on Accordance. I want the whole kit 'n kiboodle (sp?). B)

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be interested in Luther's Works, Concordia, & TLSB in Accordance format. Libronix/Mac has stuck me as largely "meh", so *finally* getting access to "the goods" in Accordance would be outstanding!

-ghp

I thought I should report back to this group on the status of negotiations between Concordia Publishing House and OakTree. We have, unfortunately, been unable to agree on mutually satisfactory terms and therefore Concordia Publishing House will not be offering resources in the Accordance format. We gave this our very level best, and I appreciate Greg Ward's helpful, open and honest approach to these issues. I regret we could not work things out, but that's the way these things go sometimes. Our two companies have fundamentally different business models and needs and we were unable to reconcile those differences.

Our two companies have fundamentally different business models and needs and we were unable to reconcile those differences.

This may not be the business of the members of this forum who enjoy the Accordance software but I would like to know what exactly is the "business model" and "needs" of Concordia Publishing House and those of Oaktree Software?

This may help clear up any ill feelings that will likely occur.

Rick, Ryan, et al,

Perhaps it is unfortunate, but business models are necessary for all Christian businesses and ministries. Nothing happens for free. Both CPH and Accordance (OakTree) have limited resources, and business models within which to function. To say that our business models are incompatible is no where near saying profit is either of our sole motives. In fact it isn't even the primary motive (actually its not really a motive at all) for Accordance, and while I certainly wouldn't presume to speak for Paul, or CPH, I'd guess he'd say something similar.

As to the exact nature of the business models in question, or needs of either entity, I do not think this is really the proper forum for such a conversation. So, we won't go into all the details, which quite honestly get rather complicated anyway. I will say that I agree heartily with Paul, in that we gave it our best to work this out. He was frank and gracious with me, and I am grateful for the conversation. Finally, I will say that at this point only one title was in discussion, the forthcoming Lutheran Study Bible, and while things did not work out for that title, I still hold out hope that CPH and Accordance can work together on other products in the future.

Many thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm this.

Greg Ward

Licensing

Accordance Bible Software