Russian Bible RST

Brian-E

I need to have the Russian Synodal Version available within Accordance. I have been told that the Accordance Team is working on making a RST module available, yet was told that I could add the RST as a user added Bible.

It appears that I do not have the RST in a Text format, and am uncertain where to get it and "what next". Will it still offer search capabilities once I have something loaded? Will it scroll with the KJV in a comparison window?

Thanks to any and all who have some advice on this, I am new to Accordance.

I can't comment on the RST module (haven't heard anything about it myself), but you definitely can't import it as a User Bible for now since the Unicode script support for the Cyrillic range is not there yet. But I imagine it is in the pipeline, maybe for the next major release.

All Accordance Bibles scroll in sync, so no worries there.

Search will probably be just "graphical"--you can search for strings of letters and use wildcards for flexibility, but you won't be able to search grammatically until someone does the hard work of lemmatizing and tagging the Russian. Зто трудная работа!

Note: it seems you can download the RST as a single text file at the Unbound Bible site, but... the text appears garbled.

Thanks for the quick response! I have looked at the Unbound Bible file, and it seems to me that the Unicode does not recognize Cyrillic and thus corrupted the file?

I have downloaded a PDF of the RST from Here , (note: both versions here come with the Apocrypha, no matter their file names). I have manually been stripping the Apocrypha out of it, and have tried many different ways of exporting from Adobe to Text file. I thought that I had almost made it several times, then found errors with trying to import it into Accordance. (I think this is because the layout PDF is meant for print, so has some formatting issues/extra characters?)

Back to the Drawing board......

It is nice to at least find some text versions available on line, yet as I have only been studying Russian in Siberia for 1 year, I cannot read even half well enough to be able to tell which version is the best edited at this point.

The veracity of this translation is a major issue, and we are trying to get an initial Text Review Collaboration project started that will compile in one place the many errors that are fairly common knowledge. Obviously, having this in Accordance is of primary importance to myself, and I need the version that is current and "recognized" within Russia. This is the one that needs reviewed, and the one that I have in print, I believe.

So....if there are any further suggestions on how to get the tool loaded, or some who might be better able to read the language to tell me what file is current.....

Коне́чно, это тяжёлая рабо́та, но са́мое бо́льшое значе́ние!

• 1 month later...

What a ridiculous waste of time and energy to try and extract the text from the typeset PDF file! Why didn't you simply email the publisher of the book (i.e. myself, Tigran Aivazian <tigran@bibles.org.uk>) and ask for the source code? Surely you ought to know that Bibles.org.uk is a service-motivated ministry and we freely give away everything we produce and would gladly share the source text used for ANY of our editions? Even when we put a price tag on some book sometimes we do this solely to compensate for the human stupidity and materialistic/animal tendencies of those unsophisticated creatures who just cannot fathom the fact that THERE IS (YES, THERE IS!) SUCH A THING AS FREE LUNCH and always suspect some "catch" when they see high quality professionally typeset books given away for free. From 12 years of experience of typesetting Bibles and other books and trying to give the results away for free I observed that when everything is free then only 5-6 people a month download them but when I put a price tag then the number grows by a factor of 10 or so.

Anyway, I repeat: ask and it shall be given to you, knock and the doors shall be opened, email me and the source text of the Russian Synodal Bible will be sent to you.

Shalom

Tigran

====================================================================

http://www.bibles.org.uk --- Repository of Essential Planetary Truth

• 10 years later...
On 6/8/2011 at 6:47 PM, Tigran Aivazian said:

What a ridiculous waste of time and energy to try and extract the text from the typeset PDF file! Why didn't you simply email the publisher of the book (i.e. myself, Tigran Aivazian <tigran@bibles.org.uk>) and ask for the source code? Surely you ought to know that Bibles.org.uk is a service-motivated ministry and we freely give away everything we produce and would gladly share the source text used for ANY of our editions? Even when we put a price tag on some book sometimes we do this solely to compensate for the human stupidity and materialistic/animal tendencies of those unsophisticated creatures who just cannot fathom the fact that THERE IS (YES, THERE IS!) SUCH A THING AS FREE LUNCH and always suspect some "catch" when they see high quality professionally typeset books given away for free. From 12 years of experience of typesetting Bibles and other books and trying to give the results away for free I observed that when everything is free then only 5-6 people a month download them but when I put a price tag then the number grows by a factor of 10 or so.

Anyway, I repeat: ask and it shall be given to you, knock and the doors shall be opened, email me and the source text of the Russian Synodal Bible will be sent to you.

Shalom

Tigran

====================================================================

http://www.bibles.org.uk --- Repository of Essential Planetary Truth

@Mark AllisonI quote this simply to give attention.

Edited by Fabian