help with a search string

danzac

I've done alot more complicated searches than this, I'm not sure why it is not working. I am trying to find other instances of 3 verbs (any kind) in a row in BHS. My string is

[VERB] <AND> <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [VERB] <AND> <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [VERB]

I also tried to change a "followed by" to "preceded by" but that did not work. Both display verses with only two verbs next two each other. I know there is at least one instance, Isa 53:4 (which is what I'm working on :) )

Is it the possible suffixes and prefixes which may be causing the problem?

Two commands make it very hard for Accordance to interpret your search string. When you want things in a specific sequence, the Construct window lets you create that search easily and reliably. Just add a WITHIN item between the first and the last so that you allow for intervening words. If you have no other constraints, the construct would look like this, but of course you can specify all kinds of things in addition. As long as your field is set to Verse, the construct will be confined to a verse however large the WITHIN.

hebconstruct.jpg

PS: I just realised you specified . In that case, you just need to search for [VERB] [VERB] [VERB], but yes, the prefixes and suffixes will mess up the search as you are not allowing anything to intervene. I suggest the following construct:

hebconstruct_1.jpg

Here I narrowed the WITHIN to 6 words, and specified that the verbs must have different lemmas, and that the only words intervening may be suffixes and prepositions.

thanks, this helps.

Archived