Searching for chapter and verse

arcanemuse

I stuck this question in the bottom of another forum where it probably wouldn't be noticed so I figure to put it in a new thread so hopefully somebody will see it. I got this idea stuck in my head and can't shake it. I want to search every single book in the Bible for the 16th verse in the 3rd chapter (if it has one). i.e John 3:16, 1Tim 3:16, etc..... I've tried everything I could think of and apparently I am too stupid to ever be able to figure it out. Hopefully one of you uber smart people out there might have a clue how to go about this. When the smoke clears, I want a listing of every 3:16 that exists in the Bible. I was hoping to have this done by 7 PM tomorrow but if not, then I guess there is always next month. I could just manually pull them all up and copy and paste but that will take a long time. I might have to do that in the end. Thanks in advance for any insight.

To my knowledge there is no way to do this—not even sure why one would want to do this.

Edited by James Tucker

I think you would have to search for every verse you wanted e.g. Gen 03:16; Ex 03:16; Lev 03:16; Num 03:16; Deut 03:16...etc. I used excel then word to create the list.

If you could get a list of the bible books into excel then put 3:16 in the next cell you can copy 3:16 down against all the books (You need to have 3:16 in the top two cells and drag them down otherwise it automatically ups the number by 1 (e.g. 3:16, 4:16 etc.). See the thumbnail.

post-30494-0-09138500-1354888551_thumb.png

Then copy the table into Word and do a bit of changing. Convert the table to text with a space between. Then change paragraph marks to semi-colon space '; '.

This gives you a list you can copy into the search area in Accordance. (you might have to split it because I think there is a limit on the number of characters it accepts.)

Not sure if this helps you but it should be be quicker than typing them all out.

This is amazing that you cannot use wildcards for books. This makes this search impossible in accordance. So now what? Google!!! This search is interesting it may not be theologically relevant but all verses are profitable. So here is what I found using Google. As Solomon said everything has been done already. :D

http://www.confessingevangelical.com/?p=993

Never ask why, James. If you feel led to do something, I figure you should do it unless it will cause you or somebody else irreparable damage. As an example, you probably shouldn't attempt to fly off the top of the Empire State building no matter how much you feel led to do it. You will flap your arms quite a bit and the end result will be that gravity shall win. Thank you, Steve, for that idea. That might well save time in the end. My original idea if searching was not going to do it, would have been to use the book selector at the bottom right to open book and verse. Getinthebible, using Google or Dogpile or whatever web search engine is a great idea. I had no idea that there was actually a book out there with these verses in it. That makes me feel a bit more validated in my efforts since somebody else had the same idea. Sadly, the link you provided has the NRSV. I was going to share this list with the church and if I want to do that... bringing in any version but the KJV is probably a very bad idea. However, if there is one place where they are all listed, there must be others! Thank you all for your input! :-)