f is being ignored in verse references

Enoch

I think of this as a bug, though Accordance may deem it a request for a new feature.

Commonly, works will give a Bible reference using f for the following verse. Thus in the ASV Notes module where it gives a note on Romans 4:7, the note is "5Psalm 32:1f."

But when one puts the cursor on the reference to see the verses (Ps 32:1-2), one only gets Ps 32:1. In the Instant details box verse 2 is left out, as it is not highlighted, and the "f." is ignored.

I don't know, but this may be a general bug throughout the system; bug of ignoring f when it means the next verse.

As far as I can tell, those links are supported just fine in Accordance, and this is simply a tagging error in the module. You can report it via the Report a Correction feature so it can be cleaned up in the next module update.

f

So you are saying that instant details does interpret the f to be the next verse & generally does display it? And you have checked this out? I checked another instance of Ps 118:22f and found the same failure to display the next verse (in this case 23).

Then I went to the NAS Notes, different module & found the same bug. The following verse designator f isnot recognized by instant details.

Edited by Enoch

Yes. For example, try putting Gen 2:3f in a user note and link it, Gen 2:3-4 will show up.

I don't understand you, Joel. When I go to modules that have f as a verse designator for the following verse and put my cursor on the verse so it will pop in Instant Details, the f is being ignored. The verse is not coming up. For example, if the verse reference is 1 Cor 7:1f, I get only 1 Cor 7:1, not 7:1-2.

This has nothing to do with User Notes. I am referring to modules I bought from Accordance. The two I checked were ASV Notes and NAS Notes.

Are we talking past each other?

Edited by Enoch

While I can't speak for Joel, I think the point he is making is that Accordance does recognize f as referencing the following verse (ff the following verses, plural). If you're encountering a module that is not properly displaying this, it is because the module has a tagging error and not because Accordance is unable to deal with f. In other words, the module developer likely did not include the f when tagging the verses. The module needs to be updated to correct this error.

• 2 weeks later...

Thus, I am wondering if Accordance, the seller of these modules, feels it would be to Accordance benefit to check its modules that it sells for proper response in Instant Details to verse references that use f

If you enter f or ff after a verse reference in the Search tab's entry box, or as a link in a user note, Accordance interprets that in a specific way. When we tag Scripture references in a module, however, we do not take the f or ff into account. That's partly due to programming, and partly due to the ambiguity of the "ff" designation. When you use ff in a search, we extend the "following verses" to the end of the current chapter or book, but that is not necessarily what an author means when he or she uses that designation. They may have in mind 3 or 4 following verses. Since you can click the link to see the linked verse in context and check out the "following verses" for yourself, we do not include them in the link itself. The only downside of that design decision is that the following verses do not appear in the Instant Details.

Perhaps we could change this in the future, but it would require programming as well as a change in the way we tag modules, and any old modules would have to be modified. So it would be a lot of effort for minimal gain.