Shorter Lexicon of the Greek New Testament

Enoch

In 1982, the last edition of pure Gingrich's Shorter Lexicon of the Greek New Testament was published. In 1983 Danker added his efforts, publishing a revised edition. I don't know if Danker made it better or not, since I only own the first edition. I love BDAG, but it can be a chore to read to get through the forest for the trees with the ocean of details, a chore to pick out the meanings.

Methinks it would be nice to have in Accordance the Shorter Lexicon. It has been so long since the 1st Gingrich edition was published in 1967 that I wonder if it is now public domain. (I note that Amazon has it for sale for 1 cent! (plus shipping $3.99).

I used the 'Shorter Lexicon' in college and liked it, but never used it after getting the full BDAG in Accordance. I'm pretty sure it has been replaced by the newer 'Concise Lexicon' (see amazon link). We've had requests for this as well, but it never went any further than that. If others are interested, feel free to chime in, though I do not know what kind of priority this might have.

Thanks for the feedback.

thanks, I didn't know about Concise.

I have to wonder if it is worth 50 smackers plus tax vs. an el cheapo Gingrich older edition.

Edited by Enoch

• 9 years later...

Reviving this thread to see interest.

Don't bother with the 1983 Shorter Lexicon. The one you want (and has been noted elsewhere) is Danker's updated 2009 Concise Lexicon

• Like 3

Danker’s lexicon is at the top of my list of module requests, even ahead of number two, Holmstedt’s upcoming Biblical Hebrew Syntax: A Linguistic Introduction, and that’s saying a lot. It was/is in BW, is in L, and in my mind is the most glaring omission in Accordance.

• Like 2

Thanks!