triple click from keyed texts

Ken Han

I don't know whether this is a new problem (feels like it) or a feature, but when I triple click a word in ESVS or KJVS, instead of looking up the word in the top dictionary as it used to, it instead finds the entry in Greek Strong's (for KJVS) or Mounce Greeek Dictionary (for ESVS). Triple clicking in a non keyed texts like NIV or NIV11 opens the top dictionary as expected. For example, try "Galilee" or "Herod" or "Ituraea" from Luke 3:1 in ESVS, KJVS, NIV, NIV11 and you will see what I mean.

At the moment I'm drawing a blank as to why this is happening, and also why KJVS opens the Greek Strong's whereas the ESVS opens Mounce Greek. I'd like to restore the behavior I'm used to where triple click would open the top dictionary. Any help would be appreciated!

Ken

For as long as I can recall, triple clicking from a keyed text goes to its relevant greek or hebrew dictionary. We recently changed using Greek/Hebrew Keys to the Mounce dictionaries. But, the KJVS was linking to its own Greek/Hebrew Strong's, so that wasn't changed to using the Mounce texts. However, if you are looking to go to the top english dictionary, rather than the gk/hb dictionary, try using Shift-triple click.

Joel, wouldn't it make sense to make the default triple click behavior consistent across all texts? So regardless of what biblical texts I'm triple clicking (whether keyed or not) it seems to make more sense that they consistently open the top dictionary, and shift+triple click to open either the Strong's or Mounce dictionary, since this is available only for a subset of Accordance texts.

Also, If I'm triple clicking on something it is probably because I want to see something more than what's already shown in the Instant Details, which is more or less the same info as what Strong's or Mounce show. Just some feedback.

Ken

Ken - I really like to be able to get different kinds of info with the triple click. I almost always have a keyed and a non-keyed text open for this very reason. If I want a dictionary entry, I go for the non-keyed, if I want Greek, I go for the keyed (don't know a scrap of Hebrew yet).

Julie

Joel, wouldn't it make sense to make the default triple click behavior consistent across all texts? So regardless of what biblical texts I'm triple clicking (whether keyed or not) it seems to make more sense that they consistently open the top dictionary, and shift+triple click to open either the Strong's or Mounce dictionary, since this is available only for a subset of Accordance texts.

Also, If I'm triple clicking on something it is probably because I want to see something more than what's already shown in the Instant Details, which is more or less the same info as what Strong's or Mounce show. Just some feedback.

Ken

In principle I agree, and previously made this same case. But, when we experimented with it in the app the behavior was just too inconsistent, especially for Hebrew (you may have been in on the alpha testing when we did). The lexical forms used in the various key number texts do not use homograph numbers, and searches in Hebrew tools don't account for vowels; this yielded too many inaccurate hits. In Greek there were also instances similar to this.

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I never noticed this behavior before because I never used keyed texts before ESVS was included in the v.10 upgrade package. And now that Rick has explained the rationale, I understand now that the current triple click behavior makes sense. It's actually very nice to know that this behavior was implemented very thoughtfully.

• Like 1