All Translations for a reference

Charles Stock

This is a request for a simple feature that would be very user friendly. Have an "All Available Translation" feature somewhat like the "Search All" feature.

Type in a reference

Result would be that verse or passage in all available translations.

This would be a quick and helpful tool for many users.

Thanks for your consideration.

It is already possible to Search [All Bibles], in precisely the same way that Search All works. But I'm guessing you'd like the results window to show the verses, not just list the translations in which the verse occurs.

One current way to do so is to create a Favorite workspace, with panes for the various translations, arranged vertically. I've done this. I have a tab for English translations, a tab for the various Greek New Testaments, and a tab for Old Testament (the BHS-W4, LXX 1 and 2, and English translations of each). It is, indeed, very helpful.

Lorinda

It would be great to be able to see ALL translations of a verse on one window. I'm pretty sure this has been requested multiple times before. This is one reason why I still use other Bible software along with Accordance.

DanG: I'm curious how the favorites workspace idea above differs from the "view all translations in one window" feature of the other software you use. What is missing from a favorites workspace setup like the one I described?

Lorinda

Hi Lorinda,

Thanks for your helpful suggestion. I set it up as you suggested and it was fairly pleasing. I had something like this before, but hadn't set the panes up horizontally. It accomplishes a customizable option.

I have to agree with Dan. This has been requested many times and for some reason never seems to be taken seriously, or perhaps represents too much work for not enough benefit. I think the difference, which is available in other Bible programs is that it is effortless and "just part of what is offered." If you have, say 50 different translations in Accordance (especially including original languages-- this is easily possible) it would be nice if there was a "no brainer" ability to compare multiple translations.

I set up eight panes horizontally, which seems like a lot. But, what if there is a really amazing rendering of a passage in an obscure translation that you wouldn't normally look at?

It makes sense that if they all appeared in one pane, you could quickly scan the whole lot and find gems that might otherwise be buried.

Charles, I don't remember this being requested too often prior to the release of Accordance 8, so the fact that a major new feature hasn't been added yet hardly indicates that we're not taking the request seriously. It simply means we're quietly working on Accordance 9. ;)

How would you envision it looking? I agree that the panes can add up quickly, but I can't think of any way to easily compare 50 translations on one screen.

I'm not objecting to the idea, I'm just trying to understand how what you want is different than what is currently available, as well as the logistics.

Lorinda

Charles, I don't remember this being requested too often prior to the release of Accordance 8, so the fact that a major new feature hasn't been added yet hardly indicates that we're not taking the request seriously. It simply means we're quietly working on Accordance 9. ;)

Hi David,

Oh oh. Sorry for any exaggeration (unintentional).

It has been requested. I have requested it. I believe I have seen a few other requests. (Hmmm... how things grow in our imaginations). I believe I emailed one of the staffers a few years back and was told that is not how Accordance works....

I'm glad for the hint that it may be in the works. You guys are totally amazing!

Charles:

I am really at a loss to know what you are asking for and how we would fit it into Accordance' current interface. If you have 50 Bibles (I probably have more), and you enter a chapter reference, what do you want to see? One pane with the chapter in one translation, scroll down to see the next translation and the next? Or one window with 50 panes? Or one pane with verse 1 in 50 translatuons followed by verse 2 in 50?

Helen, I think what people generally want is one pane that will one verse in multiple translations, one stacked on another. If a person had a lot of translations, it would require scrolling down to see them all. There are at least two other programs at have this feature, so I think it's something that especially appeals to folks who have come to Accordance from other programs. But I, too, see how it would be beneficial.

How about the "Text Sets" feature? This is what I use when I want to view all my Bible versions of a single verse. And you can create many different sets. For example, I have one set that contains all my full Bibles, one set for New Testament Bibles only, one set for Old Testament Bibles only, one for dynamic equivalent versions, one for formal equivalent versions, etc. All you have to do is click on the verse reference and choose a set by command-clicking and holding on the "Text Sets" icon.

Helen, I think what people generally want is one pane that will one verse in multiple translations, one stacked on another. If a person had a lot of translations, it would require scrolling down to see them all. There are at least two other programs at have this feature, so I think it's something that especially appeals to folks who have come to Accordance from other programs. But I, too, see how it would be beneficial.

Right. That's exactly what I'm thinking (and I suspect a few others). It would be cumbersome for a long passage, but would work nicely for a verse or two. Thanks.

Charles:

I am really at a loss to know what you are asking for and how we would fit it into Accordance' current interface. If you have 50 Bibles (I probably have more), and you enter a chapter reference, what do you want to see? One pane with the chapter in one translation, scroll down to see the next translation and the next? Or one window with 50 panes? Or one pane with verse 1 in 50 translatuons followed by verse 2 in 50?

Thank you for your response. I am thinking of a feature in which you enter a reference, not an entire passage, but a verse or two. Within a pane, the result is a display of that reference from all available translations, or it could be restricted to customized groups as in the current "Search All" feature. I think for longer passages, I would prefer your second option. One pane with verse 1, followed by a second pane with verse 2 and so on.

I know the requested feature would likely come in handy at times, but currently I like to use Shift-Control-+ to flick through my various translations in a pane.

Blessings,

John

I know the requested feature would likely come in handy at times, but currently I like to use Shift-Control-+ to flick through my various translations in a pane.

Blessings,

John

That is a great way to quickly see all the translations. Accordance rocks!

Archived