Command line for periphrastic construction

bcyc511

Greetings! What command line shall I input if I want to search the following periphrastic construction?

[imperfect eimi] + [present participle] within 1 verse in the Gospel of Mark

Thanks!

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

ειμι@ [VERB imperfect] [VERB present participle]

will give you what you're asking. This construction will give you the results where the two verbs are adjacent. The "within one verse" is assumed unless you have specifically changed it. Periphrastics don't have intervening words (or at least not as far as I know) so we don't need to cover the instances where there may be other parts of speech between the tow parts of the periphrastic verb,

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Hi Bryan,

ειμι@ [VERB imperfect] [VERB present participle]

Periphrastics don't have intervening words (or at least not as far as I know) so we don't need to cover the instances where there may be other parts of speech between the tow parts of the periphrastic verb,

Hope this helps

Depends on how you define periphrastic, I suppose. See Mark 14:54.

Dear Ken,

Thanks so much! I got it.

Blessings,

Bryan

Dear Tucker,

Yes, please also see Mk 5:5. There is also a periphrastic construction in 5:11 but it is not shown in the search results.

Then, what extra components should be added to the command line?

Thanks!

Bryan:

The nature of your question relates primarily to a relationship of words (or phrases or clauses). The best way to research your question is by means of the Syntax Add-ons. Do you have these installed?

By the way, I see that you live in Vancouver, BC. Are you aware of the training seminar Oct.19th at TWU?

Dear James,

Thanks very much for your help.

Yes, I received Accordance's newsletter that a seminar will be held in Vancouver. I think I will attend to use Accordance better.

I do not have the syntax add-ons. Are they available to ipad users?

Blessings,

Bryan

Hi,

yes you can do a syntax search on the ipad.

Try this

ειμι@ [VERB imperfect] <AND> [VERB present participle]

then [OPTIONS] (the far right hand button under the cancel button when you have selected search

you will get a pane, the top option of which is "Select within every" with a drop down menu to the right, which by default has "verse", tap on this and the drop down list will allow to to select "Clause" and the then rerun the search.

You may then get some false positives, and you may wish to disallow other verbs or particles between them (for example) Matt 9:36 has a perfect periphrastic - that the search doesn't completely select because it isn't what we were looking for, but sees that a later appropriate participle is in the same clause, (but in this case does not have a close syntactical relationship). By disallowing a particle we will remove this false positive.

However, we would have to use a construct search in the desktop version of Accordance to specify to exclude terms like particles or other verbs. I don't think you can do it in the iOS version, but others might be cleverer than me in iOS.

My original search will look for the term when they are adjacent to each other and have no other intervening words. The second search looks for the indicative and the participle anywhere within the chosen scope.

Hope that is of help

(yes James it does depend on how you define periphrasis, but classically (meant in a non-technical way here) will do me :P )

Thanks very much Ken for your detailed guidance.

Since I am a PC user, I have to wait for the release of Accordance for Window.

Blessings,

Bryan

Edited by bcyc511

• 9 years later...
On 9/13/2012 at 6:25 PM, Anon said:

Depends on how you define periphrastic, I suppose. See Mark 14:54.

Edited by Jonna
I am trying to NOT post

I am trying to NOT quote or post. but unfortunately, there can be items "between" within the periphrastic. FOR EXAMPLE: I was studying Greek last night, and Dr. Elliott Greene-Mallory (my professor) mentioned an interesting interpretive situation with John 1:9: John 1:9 Ἦν τὸ φῶς τὸ ἀληθινόν, ὃ φωτίζει πάντα ἄνθρωπον, ἐρχόμενον εἰς τὸν κόσμον.

I am just a 1-year Greek student, so I apologize if I do not have this 100% correct, but as he explained it to us (and I admit that I relied on my NET Bible): 

John 1:9

19 tn Grk “every man” (but in a generic sense, “every person,” or “every human being”).

20 tn Or “He was the true light, who gives light to everyone who comes into the world.” The participle ἐρχόμενον (erchomenon) may be either (1) neuter nominative, agreeing with τὸ φῶς (to phōs), or (2) masculine accusative, agreeing with ἄνθρωπον (anthrōpon). Option (1) results in a periphrastic imperfect with ἦν (ēn), ἦν τὸ φῶςÉἐρχόμενον, referring to the incarnation. Option (2) would have the participle modifying ἄνθρωπον and referring to the true light as enlightening “every man who comes into the world.” Option (2) has some rabbinic parallels: The phrase “all who come into the world” is a fairly common expression for “every man” (cf. Leviticus Rabbah 31.6). But (1) must be preferred here, because: (a) In the next verse the light is in the world; it is logical for v. 9 to speak of its entering the world; (b) in other passages Jesus is described as “coming into the world” (6:14; 9:39; 11:27; 16:28) and in 12:46 Jesus says: ἐγὼ φῶς εἰς τὸν κόσμον ἐλήλυθα (egō phōs eis ton kosmon elēlutha); (c) use of a periphrastic participle with the imperfect tense is typical Johannine style: 1:28; 2:6; 3:23; 10:40; 11:1; 13:23; 18:18 and 25. In every one of these except 13:23 the finite verb is first and separated by one or more intervening words from the participle.

W. Hall Harris, eds. The NET Bible Notes. 2nd ed. (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 2019), paragraph 73835.

SO: I apologize that I am over 8-years late to the conversation, but it does seem that: words can "intervene" in a periphrastic construction.

SO: that leads to my question: if one wants to find ALL THE PERIPHRASTIC constructs in the Greek NT: it looks one needs to do some sort of dreaded construct search in GREEK. I use the term "dreaded" because: I will need to re-review quite a bit of material just to potentially set it up.

ANYWAY HAVE A HANDY CONSTRUCT that is already "good-to-go"?

The attached construct file should get most of the periphrastic participles (I think).Periphrastic Participles.accord

Do note that for this search, I define that the verb must be ειμι, but it can be any tense.

You might get a few more true hits if you add γινομαι as the predicate verb.