Search Help

RANorem

Some time ago I saw in a podcast or Accordance Training Video a way to drill down from the search entry area, for example within a Bible Dictionary, directly to a word being searched for in the table of contents. By just clicking on the search entry area, the word being searched for will often show up in numerous other words within the tool browser. I know there is an easier, quicker way to get directly to the desired word in the tool browser, but I've spent a considerable time going through likely podcasts and have not found the proper way, so I appeal to fellow Accordance users, any suggestions? Thank you!

Not sure I follow what kind of search you want to do...

Are you trying to restrict your search to just a specific word in the tool browser rather than the general content of the dictionary?

By "Tool Browser"... I'm referring to what is now called "Table of Contents".

Edited by Steve Carruth

If you have executed a search in a tool, if you option-click on a disclosure triangle in the browser/table of Contents, it will automatically drill down to the entry. Is this what you are looking for?

If you have executed a search in a tool, if you option-click on a disclosure triangle in the browser/table of Contents, it will automatically drill down to the entry. Is this what you are looking for?

I'm not sure, Lorinda. That sounds like it would work, but I tried it this morning to no avail. It seems that the "option-click" simply opens all levels of the disclosure triangle, which is helpful. For example, I'm in the Holman Bible Dictionary and enter "vessel" in the search entry area. When I hit return, the first entry in the Table of Contents that opens is "Ark" rather than "Vessel." Obviously, the ark is a vessel, but I'm looking for a way to get directly to the word "Vessel" in the Table of Contents without having to page down through the (V's). I don't know if that clarifies what I'm looking for or not. Again, I appreciate any help you can provide.

Edited by RANorem

Not sure I follow what kind of search you want to do...

Are you trying to restrict your search to just a specific word in the tool browser rather than the general content of the dictionary?

By "Tool Browser"... I'm referring to what is now called "Table of Contents".

Steve, I believe that is exactly what I am looking to do--go directly to the word in the Table of Contents rather than general content of the dictionary.

You can try entering the word in the GoTo box at the bottom right corner instead of entering it into the search box. That will only work if there is an entry, but it should take you directly to it.

There are many ways to accomlish the same thing in Accordance:

If you set the "field" pop-up menu to Titles rather than Contents (in the Search area of the Tool tab), that it what it will do.

When you select a word and amplify to a tool it searches the Titles first and only searches the Contents if it fails to find the word in the Titles (or headings).

If you use the Search All, each field is searched separately, and you can click on the "module name" Titles to do the search in that field of that module.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help! I knew that I would get the right answer and I always enjoy and appreciate the wonderful responses in Accordance Forums. God bless, and have a wonderful day!