The Spirit Filled Life Bible Study Notes

flips

I posted earlier a suggestion of Jack Hayford's Bible Handbook, with not too much response. So I'll try again: How about The Spirit Filled Life Bible? I would love to get the study notes from that study bible available for Accordance.

I know we have the Fire Bible available, but I generally find Hayford to be a little more balanced and it's easier to understand both his view and other views.

Like it said here http://biblebuyinggu...led-life-bible/ :

Though the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible comes from predominately charismatic/pentecostal leaders and academics the notes are well-balanced, and while they emphasize the Holy Spirit, they do not over-emphasize or push the practice of spiritual gifts or popular manifestations associated with the Charismatic movement. Unlike the Fire Bible the New Spirit-Filled Life Bible does specify its own position of interpretation and presents it within the context of traditional or mainstream interpretation. In difficult passages and the book of Revelation as a whole, the notes carefully explain the differences of interpretations and present a balanced approach to the text.

This (and the Bible Handbook) is available for Logos, but I would prefer to get it within Accordance.

• Like 1

Using the Spirit Filled Life Bible since almost two decades. In my opinion: way better then the Fire Bible. I got the Fire Bibel on Accordance because it is one of the few modules that come from a pentecostal / charismatic angle. Would like to get at least to get the study notes from the SFL Bible on Accordance.

• Like 2

We hope to release the Life in Spirit NT Commentary soon, and we have additional Pentecostal resources such as the Stanley Horton Commentaries and theologies.

• 2 months later...

It seems the only way to get the Hayford Bible Handbook electronically is through Logos, I guess I have to buy my first Logos resource soon, then, because it would really ease my job to have this electronically ... (The SPFL is available in Kindle, that helps, but Kindle is not as good a tool for studying.)

(How much work is it to scan and OCR my paper copy of the Bible Handbook and make it into an Accordance Resource?) :rolleyes::o:D

(I find Hayford to be unique in the way that he often manages to present the main issues clearly, being both down to earth, he explains more than one view/more than his own view, thorough, yet simple to grasp -- and without weird pecularities, at least that I know of yet. Also, it's nice that he believes in the authority of scripture and he's not a cessationalist or universalist ...)

Maybe upto half of every teaching I prepare today, I use HCSB Study Bible and the Hayford Bible Handbook or the Spirit Filled Life Bible to get the basics/skeleton prepared. None of these are available in Accordance, so for maybe 40-50 % of my work, I have to work outside Accordance. For me it would be a huge timesaver to have both Hayford and HCSB Study Bible notes in Accordance ...

But I guess I'm out of luck and can stop nagging soon? :ph34r::blink::unsure:

We will be getting the HCSB Study Bible sometime soon. And, we may be able to get the Spirit Filled Bible at some point (along with other titles from Thomas Nelson). So, all hope is not lost.

• Like 1

Great news about the HCSB Study Bible, Rick. Count me in. Any hope for the MacArthur and/or Zondervan study Bibles?

Hi, flips!

Sounds like we both grew up in the Pentecostal tradition--and still value it today. We've been working hard here at Accordance to add more resources from both Pentecostals and charismatics, as we have quite a few users in that group. You can find all our Pentecostal resources by searching for "Pentecostal" on our site or using this link: http://www.accordancebible.com/search/search.php?q=Pentecostal

The Life in the Spirit Commentary on the New Testament, in which I had the honor of writing the commentary on Revelation, will be released tomorrow. It's the only commentary on the New Testament written entirely by Pentecostal scholars (though there are other great commentaries on single books). If you are looking for biblical insights from this perspective, I recommend it highly.

Yes, Life in the Spirit sure looks nice, I think I'll get that one (and maybe other pentecostal/charismatic resources too a bit later).

@Timothy I didn't actually grow up in the pentecostal tradition, but when I got saved back in 2003, the Holy Spirit became so real to me and I met a really nice couple, pastors from Hayford's church in CA. So even when my church was a more traditional evangelical church, I was experiencing lots of the charismatic and I learnt a lot from my Spirit Filled Life Bible.

(I just learnt that olive tree has SPFL)

Today, while preparing bible teaching or while studying for my own degree, I find Hayford to be good and balanced, more than other pentecostal resources I know. And also I find him to be on solid, evangelical ground for lots of core issues.

But I also find the Holman CSB Study Bible (and another abridged commentary from Holman) to bring interesting angles and sometimes important balance to the Hayford Bible Handbook. The HCSB-SB is also quite comprehensive ... I won't be late in buying that one for Accordance :)

Also, while praising resources, the EBC/EBC-R is sometimes really amazing, sometimes the only commentary I have that "nails it", and today I also found some really good info in both the ESV-SB and in Ryrie. It's so cool when you dig and "find gold" ...

I am also considering the new Eerdman's handbook, mainly because i read some good books from that publisher .... :)