Highlighting

Alec Rogers

I would really appreciate being able to highlight individual words or phrases in ALL modules, both texts and tools, not only full verses in texts as it appears to be now offered.

• Like 1

This is definitely planned, but requires some underlying capabilities which we are now working on.

• Like 1

And I'd like improved switching between highlight sets. Currently they are buried too deep. Could they also be part of the Library? Tap on Library icon in the toolbar, tap on Highlights section (Library should be divided into sections, otherwise that list gets way too long to find anything), choose the set you want and tap Close button. Or, tap on verse, choose Highlight verse, and in the top toolbar there could be highlighter set menu button in the right corner. Choose highlighter set and choose color.

Actually new Facebook application for iOS devices has excellent section change approach — tap on the TOC button in the top left corner and current screen slides to the right, leaving approximately 1/5 of it visible, and user has direct access to the other sections: Newsfeed, Messages, Nearby, Events, Friends, etc.

You could use similar approach, and use English Tools, Greek Tools, Hebrew Tools, Reference, General Tools, User Notes, Highlights, etc. This way you could avoid one endless list of resources which is really hard to navigate.

post-634-029973900 1319632041_thumb.png

Edited by Guntis

Actually new Facebook application for iOS devices has excellent section change approach

It would be good to have highlighter palette always visible (on demand along the right side of the screen, like a strip) so that I could pick highlighter tool (a button), then choose color and then just tap-and-drag over the text to highlight it, then tap on another color and again tap-and-drag over the text to highlight it in another color. This would be fantastical tool for quickly adding color to the most important words in the text.

At the top of this strip could be 2 buttons: highlighter button (if activated, anything I select in the text, gets highlighted in the selected color) and highlighter set change button.

I was also impressed with the new settings menu in the Facebook app, but I think this could get cumbersome if you have to drill down through several layers. Those subfolders would presumably open to the right, but that's the space occupied by the original window. That spatial overlap feels like bad design. Perhaps the sidebar could be expanded to the right instead, sort of like the iPad twitter app.

Jonathan

Yes, each section would expand to the right, but there is plenty of space, even on iPhone's screen, because as soon as I tap on any section, that section could fill the middle part of the screen, leaving only section icons on the left visible. That way I could always switch sections without returning back to the main section list.

Tap on the TOC button, main window slides away revealing Library sections.

Tap on any section, Library list narrows to the left leaving only section icons so that I could see section content.

Tapping another section icon opens that section content.

Tapping on the currently open section's icon closes that section, showing section icons and full section titles again. Just like I had when I tapped on the TOC button on the main window.

• 1 month later...

With 1.4 individual words can be highlighted in addition to entire verses. I'd like to be able to highlight more than 1 word and less than an entire verse. Hopefully this can be added in a future release. For now I'm highlighting each word individually but it's quite cumbersome.

• 1 year later...

I would really appreciate being able to highlight individual words or phrases in ALL modules, both texts and tools, not only full verses in texts as it appears to be now offered.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but press & hold, then drag. I find the iBooks approach to be ideal.

-- Shep

• 2 months later...

As I understand they are working on this feature right now. Highlighting is he most often used tool for me when I read anything in Accordance app,