E-Library

Hello,

I am new to Accordance 10 for Windows. I recenlty installed Accordance on my desktop, and the software works great! But on my old, slowly dying laptop, I have an issue with low drive space. I note that Accordance will always install the folder Modules (which contains the resource texts and tools) at the same location - namely in the folder located at C:\ProgramData\Accordance.

Well, unfortunately for me, my old laptop's C:/ partition is out of space. In fact, the drive space went down to 0 MB when I tried to install Accordance the first time! On the second try, I was successful, but C:/ is very low in capacity. Has anyone tried to place the Modules folder and perhaps even the Atlas files folder in another partition? My C:/ partition was created for the OS only; I have another partition for my apps. Any suggestions on how to move these folders to another location?

thanks,

David Bailey

Windows 7 64 OS

Hi David,

Welcome.

One option to try, if you haven't already, would be to select a different install location during installation but I don't know if that would move the Accordance ProgramData subdirectory. I rather suspect it won't but in truth I've never tried it.

I've not tried this but win 7 does support symbolic links. I do not know whether Accordance would be allergic to this approach but it should work. There are a few posts regarding symlink use in Mac Accordance - thumbdrive installs and such. It would be a bit of an experiment but would be interesting to know if it worked.

Thx

D

Hello Daniel,

I have considered using Junction to perhaps relocate the folders where Accordance texts and tools are, but I am not that much of a risk taker when it comes to messing around with Windows. I found a tool that can move partitions around and allow some interesting manipulations, but the tool is not free. My problem is that my OS partition and the partition with extra space are not contiguous. So, I can not shrink one partition to create unallocated space and then extend my OS partition with the unallocated space. Someday, I will get a new Lenovo when I can afford it.

David

Hi David,

I realise that I didn't address this question especially well in my first response. You have a disk space issue. So is Acc ProgramData really the largest consumer of space ? If not there may be other options. I have just recently built a PC with a 128GB SSD in it for my wife. We she then uploaded tons of photos onto the thing and what with the OS and a few apps its chockers now. So I have a second SSD and then I plan to move the user documents folders, Music, Photos etc over to this new drive. That will relieve a considerable portion of the problem. Now moving these folder can be done in a fully supported (as far as Microsoft is concerned) manner and the process is very simple.

So I'd double check the largest consumers of space on your C: drive and start there. My Acc install program data is less than 2 GB. I don't know how much yours is but its possible its the straw that broke the camel's back after the 64 crates of tea and coffee were loaded. Maybe there are crates to unload first.

As to contiguous space issues I have the same issue on my HP laptop because of the way they chose to layout the disk partitions. Rather irritating to be honest and as Win does not have a LVM that can solve this built it you need to move partition data around. Anyhow I have yet to do it but it can be done. PartitionMagic will do it I believe, if I recall the name correctly.

Thx

D

I would like to see an option in which I run the Accordance executable program on the main drive C, but keep all modules on a separate drive, such as the microSD card on my SurfacePro.

I think for a lot of folks trying to run Accordance on a Windows tablet--almost all of which come with a smaller built-in SSD and a microSD card slot--this would be a welcome option.

Hi David,

I realise that I didn't address this question especially well in my first response. You have a disk space issue. So is Acc ProgramData really the largest consumer of space ?

Actually, my Windows OS folder takes most of the space on my C:/. Accordance is second.

As to contiguous space issues I have the same issue on my HP laptop because of the way they chose to layout the disk partitions. Rather irritating to be honest and as Win does not have a LVM that can solve this built it you need to move partition data around. Anyhow I have yet to do it but it can be done. PartitionMagic will do it I believe, if I recall the name correctly.

I'm sure there are a couple of tools that will allow partition configuraiton changes; but I don't want to risk having to re-install everything on my old laptop, considering the HDD is more than 6 years old.

I would like to see an option in which I run the Accordance executable program on the main drive C, but keep all modules on a separate drive, such as the microSD card on my SurfacePro.

I think for a lot of folks trying to run Accordance on a Windows tablet--almost all of which come with a smaller built-in SSD and a microSD card slot--this would be a welcome option.

Agree. Perhaps in a future version of Accordance for Windows the install process will allow the user to specify where to install the modules?

Thanks,

David

Yep I think this would be a good enhancement also.

Thx
D

• 2 weeks later...

My ProgramData/Accordance folder is 6.74 GB. On a 64GB Windows tablet running Windows 8, that is a significant chunk of space; especially when compared to the available space (out of the box only 40GB were available due to the OS and other data).

Anyway, I'd like to see the option to move the Program Data folder to another drive. During the install, I told it to put the program files on an SD card. It did that without a problem, but that's only 178 MB. The rest was put on the C: drive, disappointedly.

I'd love to have both on the SD card, or if there are performance issues running off the SD card, the reverse (as suggested in an earlier post).

If it's possible to do this now, I'd love to hear how.

PS. Thanks for making Accordance available on Windows!

Edited by Lemuel