copy formatting

Randy Cue

I am brand new to Accordance, and I hace two questions about how to cory into Word. The first question has to do with Scripture formatting. Is there a setting that will copy prose passages into paragraphs and yet leave poetical passages as poetry? I have tried all of the citation settings in the preference menu. None seem to do what I want. The second question has to do with footnotes. I can get a passage from a commentary to copy in Times New Roman, but the citation always comes up in Geneva. Is there a way to get that to come up in Times New Roman automatically?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

It is very disappointing that after 3 days not only has no one responded to my post, but no one has even viewed it!

Sorry for the delay, I know I viewed it and assumed someone would answer or you'd find the answer elsewhere…

In the first instance, try these pref settings:

post-5629-0-80388800-1331829636_thumb.jpg

This should copy as paragraphs, and preserve poetry. Then select the text and use Copy As Citation (ctrl-cmd-c).

After pasting into Word, you should see a little paste icon, if you select 'Match Destination Formatting' it should preserve whatever font/size/style that is in the current document.

post-5629-0-74621100-1331829770_thumb.jpg

Edit: I would also check 'hide superscripts' in the Citation settings, and also in the Greek/Hebrew pref pane check 'Export all characters with Unicode format'. The latter usually helps to preserve fonts better when pasting.

HTH…

Edited by Rick Bennett

Hi Rick,

Following your directions look at what a portion of Psalm 1 looks like.

post-31190-0-26436400-1331837284_thumb.png

Rick,

Here is an example of the second problem I mentioned in my original post. How can I get the font in the citation to be the same as the font in the quote?

post-31190-0-51821700-1331840276_thumb.png

Hi Rick,

Following your directions look at what a portion of Psalm 1 looks like.

Looked into and it seems Accordance is rendering the returns internally because of being formatted as poetry. I'll send it along to have it investigated further…

Rick,

Here is an example of the second problem I mentioned in my original post. How can I get the font in the citation to be the same as the font in the quote?

This is a different issue. In this case, if you click the paste icon as pictured in your shot you can select 'match destination formatting' and it will change the font/size/style to match the insertion point. But, the footnote will not change along with it; Word doesn't support that.

Note that the behavior is slightly different with Unicode checked in Accordance. In this case it will retain the font selected in Accordance for both the body text and footnote text.

I discussed this with one of our developers and they will look into it further (there were already plans to to address something somewhat related for an upcoming update).

For now, the best option I can come up with for this issue is to use whatever font in Accordance that you want displayed in Word. Pasting into Word (with Unicode checked in Accordance prefs) will retain that font.

Alternatively, you can use 'match destination' for the body text, and if you use styles in Word, you can select all the text in the footnotes and apply that style.

HTH…

Thanks for your help, Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• 3 weeks later...

Rick,

Any update on this situation?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Rick,

Any update on this situation?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Sorry, no update as of now. Our developers have been swamped with the recent MAS release and other work. I've emailed again as a reminder.

Sorry, no update as of now. Our developers have been swamped with the recent MAS release and other work. I've emailed again as a reminder.

Thanks, Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Thanks, Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Quick update: the developers are working on the pasting / font issue and hope to squeeze it into the next update. The poetry issue is still on the to-do list to address; not sure when on that.

Thanks for the update, Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• 1 month later...

It's a little disappointing that the 9.6 update did not address the issues I raised in the original post of this thread. Hopefully they will be addressed in the next update.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Hi Randy, sorry to disappoint. We actually spent a significant amount of time trying to address this, but it turned out to be more complicated than expected. Here's a bit of an update:

re: Poetry, if you do a standard Copy (cmd-c) or Copy as No Superscripts (cmd-opt c) in a text with poetry, the line endings will be properly preserved. Copy As Citation still does not preserve them.

re: Fonts, if you turn Unicode Export off and paste into Word (e.g. with above example of Poetry) the font pasted will match the display font in Accordance. With Unicode export on you will get varying results on the font with various word processors.

Although not requested in this thread, we also we added a new pref in Bibliography for the use of a default font for Unicode Export. With Unicode Export on, pasted text in Bibliography Tool Citations will match the selected font.

So, while the issue is not completely resolved, you can get close to the desired results with the scenario I described by setting your display to the desired font / style and copying text with Unicode export off. We will continue to look into this, but a complete 'fix' involves other bigger changes that we decided to push to another rev given the host of other items we wanted to get out to users.

I hope this helps to clarify…

Edited by Rick Bennett

Thanks Rick.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

• 2 months later...

Quick update: the developers are working on the pasting / font issue and hope to squeeze it into the next update. The poetry issue is still on the to-do list to address; not sure when on that.

Now that version 10 is up and running, where do we stand on these issues?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Now that version 10 is up and running, where do we stand on these issues?

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

No updates as of now. Version 10 is up, but still some things to iron out with another bug fix update coming sometime soon. But, I will personally follow up to see if I can do anything to help in the process. Thanks for hanging in there.

• Like 1

No updates as of now. Version 10 is up, but still some things to iron out with another bug fix update coming sometime soon. But, I will personally follow up to see if I can do anything to help in the process. Thanks for hanging in there.

Rick, I appreciate your personal interest in this matter. In my opinion, this is the one area where another company may have the edge on Accordance. When we are able to format items that we copy to a word processor with more flexibility, you will outdistance the competition by far.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Randy,

I could not agree more. This is the one glaring weakness in Accordance, and I hope it gets addressed soon.

In Christ,

Bret

• 1 month later...

It's disappointing that 10.0.4 still does not address these issues. I pray that we will see some movement in the next iteration.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy