Zondervan Atlas of the Bible - Highly Recommended

Tony Lawrence

I have owned the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible for about four years in print. It is an excellent Atlas. It is a little bulkily to take on Bible Land Tours but would certainly be helpful. When I saw it released this morning I purchased it immediately. It has superior maps and illustrations that can be dropped into presentation software and the text by Dr. Rasmussen is current and clearly written. I look forward to taking it with me on tours on my iPad. I highly recommend this module.

• Like 2

If you haven't already, can you post this review on the product page?

Rick--are you interested in reviews from folks who have just used/read the hard copies?

Rick--are you interested in reviews from folks who have just used/read the hard copies?

Helen can confirm, but my assumption is that we ideally want reviews of our products. But, I imagine a review of even the print edition would be helpful for those contemplating a purchase.

Just for the record. While I have read the print edition, I actually went through the graphics on the Accordance module before writing my recommendation. I wanted to make sure the graphics looked as good in the module as they did in the book. They do! Plus, one can zoom in certain sections of a map making it excellent for use in teaching or while riding on a bus on a Bible Land tour. I can visualize showing people map 'Galilee and the Huleh Valley" while staying at Tiberias.

• Like 1

Ah, yes--I didn't mean that in reference to you, Tony! Was just looking for a clarification. I don't usually post reviews unless I own the Accordance module in question. I only asked because I have read and reviewed (in print) the OT Criticism book and Devotions on the GNT, which were both good. However, I think folks could easily find those via the Web without my posting reviews to the Accordance page.

Glad to hear you like the Atlas--I have it in print, and was debating getting it in Accordance, too, for the reasons you mention.

• Like 1

P.S. The print edition combines an index and dictionary for place names. I know many Accordance modules don't include indeces (they don't need to), but is the dictionary included? Looked like (from the product page) place names are hyperlinked to the definition found in that index.

Also, is the two-page timeline in the back included?

P.S. The print edition combines an index and dictionary for place names. I know many Accordance modules don't include indeces (they don't need to), but is the dictionary included? Looked like (from the product page) place names are hyperlinked to the definition found in that index.

Also, is the two-page timeline in the back included?

Yes.

post-5629-0-80668200-1393359291_thumb.png

post-5629-0-56107300-1393359308_thumb.png

post-5629-0-97907100-1393359319_thumb.png

• Like 1

What size and resolution are the images, please?

Thanks

Edited by Alistair

Can I use my Accordance Basic Credit for this? :)

What size and resolution are the images, please?

Thanks

It probably varies, but with this resource we processed the images from 'raw' files (.eps, .psd, .tiff) with minimal compression as we do all graphic intensive resources. We want users to be able to use the images in presentations and studies.

Edited by Rick Bennett

Are the images searchable?

Are the images searchable?

Yes, both by "caption" and "image credits"

post-29479-0-36473900-1393432132_thumb.png

You can use the credit for anything you want, in our store.

How is the credit used? I have the email confirmation, and I've bought this Atlas along with a couple other books the past two days, but the $10 isn't applied, and I don't see where to apply the $10. Thanks for any help!

How would you compare Zondervan Atlas to Carta's New Century Handbook & Atlas / Sacred Bridge?

What would be the benefits - strong points of Zondervan Atlas in comparison?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

In my personal opinion 'Sacred Bridge' is a historical monograph supplemented and supported with some great graphics. The technical research packed into it is bar-none; it's in a different league than Zondervan.

The Zondervan Atlas is much more approachable, and probably comparable to the concise 'New Century Handbook & Atlas.' However, I'd say even then the two (Zondervan & New Century) would complement each other nicely. I'll be using both for my own research and study.

Hope this helps…

sfarson: please write to orders and ask them to check on the credit. It should have been automatically applied to the order you placed AFTER the credit was put into your account, but that can take a day or two.

Very tempting! I've got it on my wish list. If I want the discount, I can't keep it there for long, can I?

How would you compare Zondervan Atlas to Carta's New Century Handbook & Atlas / Sacred Bridge?

What would be the benefits - strong points of Zondervan Atlas in comparison?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated :)

Hi Tomi,

I previously bought the Carta Select Combo which includes Sacred Bridge but not the New Century Handbook & Atlas. As Rick says, Sacred Bridge is in a different category. A valuable as is the information in Sacred Bridge it is not very readable. Sometimes I will nod off while reading selected portions. I often use parenthesis to explain myself in writing but Sacred Bridge uses parentheses a lot. On the other hand, Sacred Bridge is the BDAG of Atlases. If preparing a scholarly paper one would want to cite Sacred Bridge. By comparison Zondervan is written on a much more popular level which provides for rather interesting reading. It is just my personal opinion but I actually like the graphics in Zondervan a little better. I am glad I own them both. To summarize I would ask for what a person was purchasing a Bible Atlas? If one is needing an excellent Bible Atlas to use in personal study, preaching and teaching I would recommend Zondervan without hesitation. It would be a great to take along on a Bible Lands tour. If one were in a seminary training and seeking historical, biblical and even cultural data for papers then I would strongly recommend Sacred Bridge.

A valuable as is the information in Sacred Bridge it is not very readable. Sometimes I will nod off while reading selected portions. I often use parenthesis to explain myself in writing but Sacred Bridge uses parentheses a lot. On the other hand, Sacred Bridge is the BDAG of Atlases.

FWIW, I think the Sacred Bridge is well written, though it is definitely thorough and technical. Not popular-level writing.

FWIW, I think the Sacred Bridge is well written, though it is definitely thorough and technical. Not popular-level writing.

Thanks for the clarification Jonathan. I really didn't mean to suggest that it wasn't well-written but that it was technical.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your informative answer ... appreciate your time!

Shalom.