NOT tag in Hebrew construct window

Brian Webster

I get inconsistent results from the use of NOT in the Hebrew construct window, mostly including results that have the element marked by NOT.

For example, searching the Qal of ידע followed by את followed by אשׁר followed by [verb].

I have WITHIN 3 words between the first 2 columns and WITHIN 4 words between the 2nd and 4th columns.

I run the search with and without NOT on the 3rd column with אשׁר.

But some verses show up in both searches. The only difference is that when using NOT the אשׁר does not light up in the results, while it does when the search is done without the NOT.

Clearly the program sees it, but why doesn't it screen these results out?

The attached screen shots show Gen 9:24 in both results.

post-32244-0-44684000-1368595901_thumb.png

post-32244-0-93107900-1368595910_thumb.png

Perhaps I'm setting it up wrong, but have often had this sort of thing.

Another example searches the Qal of ידע followed by כי followed by [verb] WITHIN 4 (from 1st to 3rd column).

post-32244-0-75572400-1368596272_thumb.png

Gen 8:11 and 15:8 (etc.) should not show up.

Thanks for any help.

The answer, I think, is to use the INTER item rather than making the top item in a column negative.

A positive INTER means that the word defined in it may or may not appear in this position, but other words may not. A negative INTER means that the word defined must not appear, but any other word can.

The top item in a column is only negated when you cannot use INTER, i.e. for the first and last columns of the phrase.

I agree that your results seem anomalous, but I think that this may be unavoidable given the logic of the programming, hence it's best to use the INTER.

InterNOT.png

Thanks Helen, I was thinking about this, and the INTER command seemed like the obvious choice (after a few moments consideration) but I still don't get the logic of the NOT command - ie as to a: why it can only be the first or the last item and b: what is it doing when it finds the anomalous results?

It's OK if it's too involved, but it would help me remember the exception if I understand the pathway...

Thanks