New Features in the 8.2.3 update

RobM

"Control-0 changes the current search text to the tenth item in the pop-up menu."

I'm not really sure what the value of this feature is. I could see the value in toggling through the various items one after another, but why the tenth item? clearly there is something I'm missing.

"When the cursor is over a multi-verse reference in a Tool or User Notes window, the Instant Details box now displays up to 8 verses of the text."

This was definitely a good addition. However, this only whets my appetite for more functionality in the Instant Details box. I typically keep my Instant Details box pretty small and out of the way in the top right corner of my screen. It is just big enough to give me the information I need a reminder on. So to be able to view "up to 8 verses of text" I would need to resize it, but I don't want to do that. With this added feature I now too wouldn't mind seeing a scroll bar in the Instant Details box. For all the work that I would need to do to go up, resize my instant details box, hover over the verse range, and then resize my Instant Details box again (to make it small again), is more work than I want to do. I would prefer to simply click on the verse range and open a new tab in which I could add translations or original text or whatever. I think for this feature to become especially useful, a scroll bar would need to be added that could be used while holding the shift key to make sure the verses don't disappear while moving the mouse to go up and scroll (or perhaps the shift key could activate the scroll feature of the Instant Details box automatically so that one would not have to move his/her mouse to the box at all???).

Perhaps these issues have already been thought of and this update is only a first step of future steps to come that have not yet been made public.

Do others agree?

"Control-0 changes the current search text to the tenth item in the pop-up menu."

I'm not really sure what the value of this feature is. I could see the value in toggling through the various items one after another, but why the tenth item? clearly there is something I'm missing.

This feature was purely done based on a user request, since Control-1 through 9 load the nth text, they wanted Control-0 to load the 10th text.

This feature was purely done based on a user request, since Control-1 through 9 load the nth text, they wanted Control-0 to load the 10th text.

Wow, I had no idea that one could toggle through texts like that! Now I understand this addition.

Thanks

This was definitely a good addition. However, this only whets my appetite for more functionality in the Instant Details box...

Perhaps these issues have already been thought of and this update is only a first step of future steps to come that have not yet been made public.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, we do have more plans up our sleeves to improve the functionality of the Instant Details box.

Wow, I had no idea that one could toggle through texts like that! Now I understand this addition.

Your original post was funny. I could tell you didn't know about ⌃1...⌃9. And in the absence of that knowledge, instituting ⌃0 for the 10th module is just bizarro-world. This module toggle with ⌃1 thru ⌃0 is super handy.

Don't feel bad. I've suspected VERY few folks know about it &/or utilize it since I user-recommended it years ago.

Joe

Your original post was funny. I could tell you didn't know about ⌃1...⌃9. And in the absence of that knowledge, instituting ⌃0 for the 10th module is just bizarro-world. This module toggle with ⌃1 thru ⌃0 is super handy.

Don't feel bad. I've suspected VERY few folks know about it &/or utilize it since I user-recommended it years ago.

Joe

Well done on suggesting this feature. It seems like a good one!

Well, now that I know about this function I'm sure I'll use it more. Though I will have to reconsider the order I have my texts arranged to take better advantage of this feature.

:rolleyes: , I also didn't know about ⌃1...⌃9. Reading about ^0 I figured out what this shortcut is for. I just had to change ^0 in Spark application to something else, and remap Spaces shortcuts from ^1-4 to ⌥1-4. Then rearranged Bible modules in Accordance so that the first 10 are the ones I use most often. I'm really impressed with all these little changes in module selection and Instant Details box! For me it's not some dot-dot update, but a solid single-dot upate. Thank you! :)

P.S. I only wish Instant Box would show verse numbers in front of each verse. But that's a little concern to me.

Spaces Between Book Names and Numbers

When entering verse references it is no longer necessary to avoid entering a space between a book number and name, so that 2 Kings is now acceptable anywhere in a list of references. However, now you must add a comma or semi-colon after the last number of the previous reference so that it is not interpreted as a book number. Thus Gen 1:1; Ex 1:1 must be used rather than Gen 1:1 Ex 1:1.

Copy as Citation and Copy as References now automatically add a space between a book number and name, so that 2Kings becomes 2 Kings. This is separate from the setting of Use SBL Standard notation in Preferences/Appearance.

Brilliant addition! I've been waiting for this for some time. Thanks!

One has to be careful, though, not to leave on the SBL standard notation setting on now since it will insert TWO SPACES rather than one when you generate a reference list.

I could see the value in toggling through the various items one after another...

I didn't know about toggling through the first ten items in your pop-up menu either, even though I had requested being able to toggle through the various items one after another. So thanks for bringing that you our attention!

However, I still would request the ability to toggle through ALL of your items in the pop-up menu.

A couple things I noticed while trying out this feature.

1. I could find no way to toggle through a specific pane in a workspace. For instance, I would like to toggle through the various commentaries in a bottom pane while displaying a text in a top pane. This would be extremely useful and save LOTS of mouse trips to the menu! I know I could open up a separate tab and toggle through the first ten commentaries, but then you can't see the Scripture unless you open another window set to display it.

2. Also, if you open up a tab to display commentaries on a particular verse and begin to toggle through your top ten, after each toggle you have to also hit return. (This is different from how the display of scripture works where the pane is automatically updated when you toggle through through texts.) Also, each of the top ten items in your list are displayed regardless of whether there is actually an entry related to the reference in the pop-up menu.

3. It would be great to toggle through ALL of the commentaries or lexicons or whatever, but ONLY the ones that actually have an entry. The old Online Bible for Mac would function this way and it's the biggest feature I miss by moving to Accordance several years ago. Certainly, there's lots to love about Accordance, but this is one feature that I would use all the time and was a HUGE time saver!

4. If I am displaying four panes of Scripture and begin to toggle with the control-1, etc. keys the first pane will toggle with the pop-up menu. BUT, at control-6, because I have a pane with the sixth module already displayed in the third pane, now that third pane will begin to toggle instead of the first pane. Then when I continue to toggle with the control keys, because I have the eighth module displayed in the fourth pane, now the toggling jumps to the fourth pane.

Is there a way to have only the FIRST pane toggle and have the other panes stay static?

However, I still would request the ability to toggle through ALL of your items in the pop-up menu.

I wanted the same thing and then realized (by accident) that control-- (control-dash) and control-+ do just that! You can use these two exclusively if you want. The only difference is you would not be able to jump to text 13 (for example) without toggling through text 11 and 12 first.

1. I could find no way to toggle through a specific pane in a workspace. For instance, I would like to toggle through the various commentaries in a bottom pane while displaying a text in a top pane. This would be extremely useful and save LOTS of mouse trips to the menu! I know I could open up a separate tab and toggle through the first ten commentaries, but then you can't see the Scripture unless you open another window set to display it.

4. If I am displaying four panes of Scripture and begin to toggle with the control-1, etc. keys the first pane will toggle with the pop-up menu. BUT, at control-6, because I have a pane with the sixth module already displayed in the third pane, now that third pane will begin to toggle instead of the first pane. Then when I continue to toggle with the control keys, because I have the eighth module displayed in the fourth pane, now the toggling jumps to the fourth pane.

Is there a way to have only the FIRST pane toggle and have the other panes stay static?

#1 - I agree that it would be nice to toggle one pane at a time.

#4 - I found this to be true as well. This would probably be fixed if control of individual panes was enabled.

"When the cursor is over a multi-verse reference in a Tool or User Notes window, the Instant Details box now displays up to 8 verses of the text."

This was definitely a good addition. However, this only whets my appetite for more functionality in the Instant Details box. I typically keep my Instant Details box pretty small and out of the way in the top right corner of my screen. It is just big enough to give me the information I need a reminder on. So to be able to view "up to 8 verses of text" I would need to resize it, but I don't want to do that. With this added feature I now too wouldn't mind seeing a scroll bar in the Instant Details box. For all the work that I would need to do to go up, resize my instant details box, hover over the verse range, and then resize my Instant Details box again (to make it small again), is more work than I want to do. I would prefer to simply click on the verse range and open a new tab in which I could add translations or original text or whatever. I think for this feature to become especially useful, a scroll bar would need to be added that could be used while holding the shift key to make sure the verses don't disappear while moving the mouse to go up and scroll (or perhaps the shift key could activate the scroll feature of the Instant Details box automatically so that one would not have to move his/her mouse to the box at all???).

Do others agree?

I think each user will have a different preference here. I do not necessarily want the Instant Details box small, and I do object to having to open still another pane to view the verses. So I will benefit from this change.

I would like to insert my friendly reminder that all of Accordance's keyboard shortcuts are documented in the Help, under Reference Section -> Keyboard Shortcuts. The problem is that we have such a massive list of them, it can be hard to realize ones you may have a use for! What I'd recommend if you have a chance is take 10 minutes or so and try out each and every one. Many of them you will already know, many of them you will have little use for, but I'm sure there will be some helpful ones. For example, many of you may not know of the recently added Control-Command-R, to add the selected verse to a new or existing Reference List. I've had to go through the list a few times already for other reasons, but it always reminds me of shortcuts I've forgotten or simply never known.

I wanted the same thing and then realized (by accident) that control-- (control-dash) and control-+ do just that!

Wow! Thanks! That's almost better than Christmas!

Wow! Thanks! That's almost better than Christmas!

:)

Really, based on what Joel said, I wonder how many other cool tricks there are that we don't know about. Probably a heck of a lot more than we might expect!

I think each user will have a different preference here.

I think this is one of the truly shining aspects of Accordance: the ability to accommodate the user experience to the user's personal preferences for every little thing in the Accordance interface. From what I've seen in other Bible software programs, the software company seems to dictate the form and setup of the interface to a large extent, forcing its users to assimilate to their idea of the "most optimum" workflow. Accordance, on the other hand, leaves it all up to the user. And on top of that, the Accordance team continues to update the software (often at the behest of we their demanding users!) to enable even more custom, personal modifications. This is probably the thing that makes Accordance so satisfying and enjoyable to use.

Keyboard shortcuts: I make it a point to pull out the manual once a year or so and go through the list. I always seem to pick up something new. I forget a lot of them, but by looking at them once in a while, I find useful things to put into use.

Instant details box: I really don't like this thing. It takes up space, yet it doesn't do the job for me. So now it will do 8 verses, except to see them will take more work than it should and negates the principle of "instant details." I would really like simple pop-up windows that dynamically size to the link, no matter how many verses. This takes no keyboard strokes, shows all the info at once, takes no screen real estate when not in use, and is "instant."

For those who like the instant details box, or who don't like the instant pop-up option as used by most other Bible programs, why not let it be a matter of preference? Turn off the pop-ups, or the instant detail box, or use both, etc. in the user preference menu.

Archived