Powered by Accordance

R. Mansfield

I saw recently that computer users who run Ubuntu Linux on their laptops can get a free "Powered by Ubuntu" decal for their laptops to replace the one that says "Powered by Windows." See attached image:

static--images--community_nav--stickers.png

This got me thinking. What if we had a "Powered by Accordance" decal?

Now, Mac users have generally eschewed decals and stickers on the palm rest of their laptops; and thankfully, Apple has never cluttered up their laptops with them like all PC vendors do. I'm not even suggesting a palm rest sticker or one shaped like the "Powered by Windows" or "Powered by Ubuntu" sticker. Rather, these just got me thinking.

I've noticed that in the last five years, with more and more people using Macs, they've stopped standing out. Often I now see dozens of glowing Apple logos on blank aluminum rectangles in in coffee shops, classrooms, conference halls, etc. A nicely-designed "Powered by Accordance" sticker might look pretty cool on the back of a MacBook's screen or on the back of an iPad (or even iPhone if it's small enough) and make it distinct from the Apple herd.

These could be handed out for free at conferences, training seminars, included with any software in which physical media was requested (of course, I realize that is becoming less and less), and even made available for free with a self-addressed stamped envelope like the Ubuntu stickers.

Of course, I realize that some folks would never put a decal on their laptop. I wouldn't put just anything on mine either (although I do currently have a skin-it depicting Raphael's School of Athens on my MBA). That's why a "Powered by Accordance" decal would have to look both attractive and professional. And if they were appealing enough that they became popular, I think it would be pretty cool to be able to spot fellow-Accordance users that way or even see a sea of them on the back of MacBooks at a training seminar.

Just an idea. What do others think? Would you put a "Powered by Accordance" decal on your MacBook if it were nicely designed?

• Like 2

Yes, if it was see through that I could put in the middle of the glowing apple!

Yes. Actually, I purchased a set of round, transparent Avery labels last fall, just to see if we could come up with something. I got sidetracked, perhaps it's time to revisit this.

I researched this as well, specifically in regards to a decal that would go over the glowing Apple. The only factor to consider is that the glowing Apple is so bright that you will probably have a glowing Apple shape that shines through on whatever decal you place on top of it, unless it's black. For example, a lamp decal wouldn't look like a glowing lamp (which would be so cool). Instead, it would look like a glowing Apple that has a lamp decal stuck on top of it. Because of this, it may be best to go with a "Powered By" decal that goes on the corner/side somewhere.

Also, I have seen Rick's School of Athens skin on the MacBook Air. It's pretty slick.

Yes, I personally would not want to cover the Apple, but a bottom corner might be appropriate.

• 2 years later...

Okay, my initial vision was something a bit more subtle, but after getting my new Acer Aspire R7, the easel hinge on the back seemed to scream out for something to be placed in that space.

I put together a clear decal at CafePress (this has not been made public for others to obtain) and got it in today. Now, I've already messed up the one I got in the mail (fortunately, I've got credit from designs I've made that continue to sell). I'm a bit of a perfectionist about things like this so I'm going to have to order a replacement. The clear decal on the R7's brushed metal arm really shows up air bubbles, and when I tried to correct this by peeling the sticker back from the corner, my fingerprint got solidly embedded into the glue.

But this should give everyone an idea of what could be done. I really like it (assuming I can get a better transfer from a replacement sticker). What does everyone think?

20140529_155135766_iOS.jpg

Edited by R. Mansfield

post-29263-0-99768700-1401384754_thumb.png

I think this would be cool still the accordance icon but the surround of books really feels right to me....

-Dan

• Like 2

I want mine to say "Powered by Roy"

:P

• Like 1

I think this is excellent, AND I think we need a similar gadget to go on any of our websites/blogs/pages that would link people off to our website.

I love this idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, because I wasn't satisfied with the first attempt (the sticker had air bubbles and one big thumbprint stuck in the adhesive), I made a second attempt. First, instead of placing the entire "square" sticker onto my Acer Aspire R7, I trimmed around the lamp and flame. Second, I had my wife help me get the sticker on. The plastic is so sensitive, it really was a two-person job to make certain there were no air bubbles or smudged adhesive. I'm much more pleased with this attempt. See pictures below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

looks good.

Ok... now what I want is a coffee mug like what I see to the right of the laptop in the first picture!!

We'll have some logo products available soon. That's an old one still available on CafePress I believe.

• Like 1

Actually, that particular mug is one that I created privately last year, although there are some similar items in the Cafe Press store. I used Cafe Press for both the mug and the "Powered by Accordance" sticker, but I've not made either of them publicly available.

• 1 year later...

My iPad Pro setup is now complete. Keyboard cover, Pencil, CoverBuddy back case with Pencil holder, and most importantly, a "Powered by Accordance" sticker!

iPad PbA.jpg

• Like 2

Not for me, but you guys go ahead.

Unless you want to PAY me to advertise your product, in which case let's talk :)

Users who run Ubuntu Linux on their laptops can get a free "Powered by Ubuntu" decal for their laptops . . .

This got me thinking. What if we had a "Powered by Accordance" decal?

Hi Rick, 

Why not both? Acc could produce their own Linux distro to run Accordance.  :)

Regards,

Michel

• Like 2

Excellent - Accordnix ! We do need this :)

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi Daniel,

or,

Accordlinx: Powered by Accordance, with Unity Desktop

‎ מה־טוב ומה־נעים שבת אחים גם־יחד   (Ps. 133:1)

With a few tweaks, Acc would look like it was running in Snow Leopard.

Regards,

Michel