One more feature to make the Switch Complete

Dewayne Davis

I think the campaign is timely and well put together. The only thing I don't find is the offer to trade your old software in for a discount... Just kidding of course, although I have seen companies do this in the past. I will be happy to add my own story as soon as I have more time to post it.

The real thing that's missing is a 30-day return policy. Accordance is the only major Bible software vendor without one. I am checking in every month or two in hopes they've finally seen the light.

Vince: We only added the Trial Offer to our refund options last week.

Dewayne: As we mention on the Complete the Switch page and the Crossgrades page, you can ask us about other competitive discounts. If you cannot pass on your old software, please talk to us privately and see what we can do to help you make the switch.

• 2 weeks later...
Vince,

Your wish is our command. You can now purchase one of our Introductory Levels and try the software for 30 days. See here for details.

http://www.accordancebible.com/about/purch...ions/refund.php

Sorry, just now getting back to checking (didn't think there'd be a reply that fast :) ). I'll start by saying "Thanks!" It's a great start, and makes the decision about what to do harder.

But it doesn't obviate the need for a decision, because, although it's a start, it's only a start. I (and presumably any other potential user) want to work with Accordance to see if it meets the needs of what we do with Bible software. That means working with the Bibles we use, the languages we use, the language tools we use, and so forth. In other words, we want to live in the package for a month. Without the tools and Bibles and so forth that we use almost every day, we can't live in the package.

For me specifically, neither of the Introductory modules contain the Bibles I use (No NAS, NIV, or ESV? Seriously?), the language tools I use, nor do you allow even using the free Bible module to get at least one of those Bibles during the trial period. Thus neither of the Introductory module are ones I would purchase if I purchased Accordance (it would be at least Standard, and quite possibly Premium, at least on the Scholar side). So, although it is better (thanks again!), it still puts me/us in the position we're already in with the demo: testing something other than what we're really going to use. That makes the test invalid from the start (it's why I couldn't figure out much from the demo).

I'm not sure why the straightjacket on the option. I would hope, for a number of reasons, it's not fear that someone's going to steal the software. It's a policy I'm used to from both of the other major players in this software category, that I've had to take advantage of in one of those two cases, and that, given the investment I have already and the investment that will be required in Accordance, I am loath to not have available.

I'll end the way I started, by saying "Thanks!" again for listening (and taking action) thus far, but I hope you'll be inspired to go even further. :)

Vince

I'm not sure why the straightjacket on the option. I would hope, for a number of reasons, it's not fear that someone's going to steal the software.

I for one can see why Accordance wouldn't want to release an unrestricted full-featured version for a "30 day trial" that is only a trial if the end user honestly deletes it if they don't intend to use it. Sorry for my skepticism, maybe you don't agree, but it is certainly understandable.

Perhaps a reasonable restriction could be a version that ceases to work after 30 days? Many shareware and other software have this limitation built in. I'm pretty sure this would be the solution that everyone could agree on. The problem, of course, is how hard would it be to implement? I am guessing it would be quite a chore if every module would have to be revised to "time out" after 30 days (along with the main application). Maybe there could be some other creative way to do this though.

Just some thoughts.

Tom

I for one can see why Accordance wouldn't want to release an unrestricted full-featured version for a "30 day trial" that is only a trial if the end user honestly deletes it if they don't intend to use it. Sorry for my skepticism, maybe you don't agree, but it is certainly understandable.

Perhaps a reasonable restriction could be a version that ceases to work after 30 days? Many shareware and other software have this limitation built in. I'm pretty sure this would be the solution that everyone could agree on. The problem, of course, is how hard would it be to implement? I am guessing it would be quite a chore if every module would have to be revised to "time out" after 30 days (along with the main application). Maybe there could be some other creative way to do this though.

Just some thoughts.

Tom

Of course, the flip side of that is why would a user want to pay for and try out something that doesn't come close to what they want to purchase?

I personally prefer the current accordance approach to install. It makes me feel more like an "owner" in the same way that I "own" books (and I own a LOT of those... much to my wife's frustration :rolleyes: ).

So how can Accordance fill that gap? I really believe that screencasts focused on the content are key. They could highlight the value of moving up from intro level to full libraries quite nicely. (see my post in the podcasts forum)

Archived