Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament

scottgreening

I am surprised that Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament is not available. Anyone else interested in this resource? It's very helpful.

• Like 5

Yep. I have hardcopy but would consider one in Acc for searchability and so on.

Thx

D

• Like 2

It's been requested numerous times.

A few years ago, I began creating my own "bootleg" copy in a user notes file but never got very far.

Screen Shot 2014-03-12 at 4.36.32 PM.png

• Like 2

I carried that little green book all over for so long. They switched to burgundy at some point.

• Like 1

Mine's blue ....

Tx

D

• Like 1

+1, would be great to have this tool

It seems to me that at least a significant amount of Zerwick is mirrored somewhat in the Exegetic and Linguisitc Analysis of the GNT

see Matt section below

Matthew 1
Matthew 1:1
Βίβλος (G1047) book, different from βιβλίον (G1046), has a connotation of sacredness and veneration (AS).
γενέσεως descriptive gen. origin, birth, genealogy, history, document (BAGD; DA ; Luz; DJG, 253–59). The phrase may mean “geneological register” and refer to only Matt. 1:1-17 (Hagner).
υἱοῦ Δαυὶδ son of David. Apposition. As a descendant of David, He has a legitimate claim to the throne of David (Cleon L. Rogers, Jr., “The Covenant of David in the New Testament: Part 2. The Davidic Covenant in the Gospels,” Bib Sac 150 [1993]: 459; s. also Cleon L. Rogers, Jr., “The Promises to David in Early Judaism,” Bib Sac 150 [1993]: 285–302).
υἱοῦ Ἀβρααμ son of Abraham. Apposition. This traces Jesus’ lineage back to the founding father of the nation of Israel and echoes the promises to Abraham that his offspring would bless all the peoples of the earth (Blomberg; Hagner).
Cleon L. Rogers Jr. and Cleon L. Rogers III, The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament (Accordance electronic ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998), n.p.
What do you think are the major advantages of Zerwick over Rogers and Rogers?

Well, I don't know whether all would consider this an advantage of Zerwick (I do), but Rogers and Rogers are far more interpretive with the grammatical data they analyze than Zerwick is. Not as much as Wallace is in his large grammar, but you notice it as you go through the GNT with Rogers and Rogers.

Where would this be found in the Accordance Library?

Cleon L. Rogers Jr. and Cleon L. Rogers III, The New Linguistic and Exegetical Key to the Greek New Testament (Accordance electronic ed. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998), n.p.

If you have it, it will be under Reference Tools. It can be found simply by typing "Rogers" in the Library search.

And if you wish to purchase it it's here

If you’d like me to post more, of any specific pericope to help you decide if you'd like it, then please ask. (up to a point!)

You can find David Lang's excellent blog post about it here

Edited by Ken Simpson

Maybe Darin would like credit for that… ;)

Oops! Sorry Darin! Thanks for the pickup Graham

The excellent blog post by Darin Allen...

• Like 1

Zerwick vs Mr. Rogers:

So Rogers is more interpretive. But is that at the expense of objective linguistic analysis? Which is more helpful if you want to know exactly what the vocabulary means in the original language and what the grammar is?

After a Little Checking:

Rogers turns out not to be from the Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, but a translation or adaptation of Herr

Fritz Rienecker's Sprachlicher Schluessel zum Griechischen Neuen Testament. (Now don't stand too close to someone when you are aspirating all that.)

So immediately it has a much more scholarly aura! And who wouldn't want to buy an extra Schlüssel? If the Schlüssel fits, wear it! Or Öffnen Sie die Tür mit dem Schlüssel.

After a little checking, I don't know if Zerwick has a nihil obstat on its title page, but apparently it is RCC POV.

Edited by Enoch

I haven't spent considerable time weighing the merits of each to be able to answer that, but I just mean that Rogers has more (deliberately) theological interpretation of the grammar and vocabulary than Zerwick does. Some will appreciate this; others might not.

• 1 year later...

I would very much appreciate Zerwick! Is it in the works or should I break down and go print? Thanks.

It is not in the works.

I am surprised that Zerwick's Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament is not available. Anyone else interested in this resource? It's very helpful.

+1

Does anyone know of an existing e-text of this work?

I know of the physical print edition and this one: https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Max_Zerwick_A_Grammatical_Analysis_of_the_Greek_Ne?id=NSgBrnA545YC&hl=en.  God bless!

Logos obviously has some kind of e-text, since they sell "Max and Mary." Whether they e-texted it themselves, or came by a pre-existing e-text, I can't say.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just posting here to say how much at least this user would love "Max and Mary" in Accordance! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...