Schaffs work on Creeds

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I am interested in obtaining the Greek text of a number of early creeds. It would be handy to have them in Acc. I see that Peter Schaff's Creeds of Christendom is available though apparently not for individual purchase. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Could I get Schaff by itself ?

2. Are there any comparable resources containing the creeds in Greek that I've missed that are available in Acc ?

3. If anyone has any experience with the early creeds and is familiar with Schaff I'd be interested in any comments you might have.

Thx

D

Daniel,

1. Philip Schaff's work is available for $50 as part of the Classic II Group (http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=CL2-8), which includes a bunch of other good stuff too. Perhaps that could work for you. Alternatively, you can get pdf or text files from ccel.org, though the work is much easier to search and navigate in Accordance.

2. I don't know of any comparable resources available in Accordance. There are a few other resources with english translations but not original language versions.

3. As a member of a church in a confessional tradition, we use the creeds a lot. I did not grow up in this tradition and have enjoyed using Schaff's work to "catch up" on the history of the creeds. Further, several of the early creeds (especially the Apostle's Creed) existed in various wordings and translations and Schaff presents many of these forms to show how they developed over time. It's a very helpful work and Schaff is generally a good writer and easy to read. I think you'd be satisfied getting this in the Classic II group.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan

Thanx for this Jonathan. Ooops on the Peter vs Philip - not sure how I did that.

I'd noticed the CL2 group. I'll review it further and think about it. I'm likely to go after the AF module so was hoping to trim expenditure a little. We'll see.

Thx

D

Hey Jonathan, The forums strike again ! I went for the CL2 and as you pointed out very interesting. I have yet to get into Schaff more than cracking it open - but Bulfinch and the Summa, and a work on Babylonian and Assyrian religion plus other things. So you were quite right - very satisfied.

Thx

D

I have used just about every work in that bundle in some way. Lots of good stuff. Happy reading!

Edited by JonathanHuber