results from David's Ephesians analysis

Ken Han

I was following along David's wonderful tutorial. But I noticed that I get different results from NA27 vs. GNT-T, as can be seen in the attached pictures. When I compare the two texts, I don't see that Accordance flags any different words, lemmas, or tags. How then do I understand the different results? Also, is there a way to overlay the two different results in Accordance?

Accordance counts the punctuation as "words" for these kinds of analysis, and my guess is that the sigla are also counted. The graphs show the hits per 100 "words". That would explain the slightly different looking graphs even though the actual results are the same.

Thanks Helen. That's more or less what I suspected. But it seems to me counting punctuations and sigla as "words" is not what one expects especially in a statistical result given by per x words.

Just as an aside, this is one reason why you can't just abandon the GNT-T for the NA27-T/UBS4-T). And similarly the Hebrew texts. The other reason is that the syntaxing doesn't relate to the non-base text.

I thought for. A while I could relegate the GNT-T and BHS-W4 to my less used folder and keep NA27-T and BHS-T at the top, since I use and appreciate the apparati. But GNT-T and BHS-W4 are back in pride of place...

Ken - I agree. And when I'm just reading, I really don't want the sigla unless I'm looking for textual variants. They can be distracting.

Ken and Julie, I also agree. I don't use NA27-T on a day to day basis, but rather GNT-T because I simply don't need to see the sigla all the time. If there was an option to turn them off, I could probably switch, but, for now, I continue to use GNT-T regularly and only switch to NA27-T when I'm also actively using the apparatus (which, to be frank, simply isn't all that often).

I do the reverse, for a variant can change a reading. For searching, I switch to my GNT-T search workspace.

I read the NA27-T, and HMT-W4 (I find the variants in the Hebrew text far less interpretation changing). and for searching I use the GNT-T. Having said that, I *mostly* read GNT text with my physical UBS4 - so old fashioned. Still not as comfortable reading a screen as I am paper....