I broke User Notes Display pref :-(

voyager

HI -

I think I did something unique in the history of mankind, or at least your beta testers. See if this makes any sense.

I didn't like the red dots indicating User Notes, and had no plans to use User Notes myself, so I trashed the Sample Notes (I think) in the Modules/Shared User Tools. (It's possible I trashed Notes from somewhere else, but whatever I trashed, it's led to this - )

When I click on User Notes Display in the Preferences, I get "Where is the file for the "-" text?" and an open dialogue centered on the Modules. I navigate to Shared User Notes, and of course there's nothing there. I have tried copying the Sample Notes elsewhere in Accordance, and tried copying old Sample Notes from backups, but Accordance sees these files as grayed out. I've tried creating My Notes and merging. I've tried clicking on the Sample Notes to launch Accordance. None of that gets me an answer to "Where is the file…"

And if I cancel that "Where is the file…" panel, Accordance crashes.

Now, since I don't plan on using User Notes, I can live with never again clicking on that particular preference, but -

(1) I'd rather not leave a crashing problem unattended, and

(2) neither would you, probably.

So, how do I let Accordance rest easy, knowing where the file it wants resides, even if this user never uses it?

Thanks very much from a baffled gamma tester….

Edited by voyager

I am newbie to Accordance but could it be that Accordance needs to have at least one user note file even if you do not use it?

I do not think it is because you deleted the sample user notes because I deleted too. The only difference is that I have created other User note files.

You may want to try creating blank USer Note file.

Hope that helps you.

David

Thanks, but that doesn't do it. Creating new Notes or editing existing Notes, the prefs still don't know where to go. Possibly the problem is that I launched Accordance without any notes last night, it lost the connection, and now it can't recover.

I also tried navigating to the Notes in [user]/Library/Documents/Accordance files, which is where my new Notes appeared, but once again, the files appeared grayed out.

This might well require some input from one of the programmers.

Hi Voyager,

My Sample Notes file is under Documents/Accordance Files/User Tools. Its called "Sample tool". It has no extension which is a bit odd given the new file extensions but oh well.

You say the file is greyed out - do you mean in the Accordance file open dialog ?

If so have you checked the file properties of the file - is it perhaps read only ?

BTW, what platform are you on ? looks like windows but just to be sure.

Thx

D

Hi Daniel -

You mention User Tools and Sample Tool. I think you mean Notes, since that's what I'm talking about.

Yes, the file (Sample Notes, as well as My Notes) is grayed out in the dialogue that asks for the "-" file.

I'm on Mac 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, with Accordance 10.3.2.

When I first installed Acc 10, the User Notes Display pref worked fine. It wasn't until last night, when I trashed the Sample Notes, that the pref became unusable.

I think the problem stems from Acc's desire to make sure all modules are registered correctly. Now that Acc 10 has lost its link to any User Notes, it refuses to recognize anything but its built-in link, which is empty. At least, that's my guess, and that's why I think I need programmer help.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

Edited by voyager

OK, I don't have a <user>/Library/Documents/Accordance Files folder on Mac. I have one rather similarly named on Windows which is what threw me off. On Mac its <user>/Library/Application Support/Accordance/Modules/ .... but my modules (saved ws's and notes) are under <user>/Documents/Accordance Files/ and under the User Notes subdir there I have "Sample notes.acc4". You could try copying that file there. The only thing I'm not sure off is if the layout differs between OS versions - I'm on Mavericks but my layout was like this on Mountain Lion also. On 10.6.8 not sure. Check if your layout matches mine above.

As to fixing the issue less surgically I suspect an uninstall (not removing content) and a reinstall would work. I would of course backup all the Accordance directories (with Acc shutdown) before attempting such a thing. I've done this on Win but not on Mac (never needed to on Mac) but the process would be the same I would expect.

thx

D