ETS/SBL Question

Dr. Nathan Parker

Posting this here since I'm not sure where to ask it. Since a lot of you are ETS and SBL members, I wanted to get your input on this.

Since I'm wanting to continue to pursue Biblical academic studies and a Biblical academic career, I'm considering joining ETS and SBL. I've already filled out my ETS application form and will mail it in soon. I'm also considering SBL.

For both, I'm looking at getting a student membership (and for ETS one of my professors can represent me as a sponsor).

What are the advantages to having both an ETS and SBL membership, and are the advantages to having an SBL membership worth having it in addition to an ETS membership (if I go for a student membership plus the print journals it'd be about $150/year)?

I'm taking my M Div right now. Will get a Ph D after completing my M Div.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Nathan,

ETS is more conservative and smaller, and SBL is anything you can imagine and much larger.

The annual meetings are the main advantage to being a member. There you can meet people working in your discipline, hear the latest ideas in paper sessions, and see the newest offerings from publishers (plus, often get discounts on book purchases). The publishers' exhibit hall is usually a wonder to behold.

JETS comes with ETS membership, but JBL is extra for SBL members. If you already have access to JBL (via school library or whatever), then I would not pay extra for the journal subscription.

Two other societies that hold their annual meetings at the same time/place as ETS/SBL are ASOR and IBR. It depends on what you are studying and what you plan to do. The ASOR and ETS annual meetings overlap, and for me, ASOR provides better interaction for what I am studying than does ETS. But it all depends.

I find the annual meetings to be thoroughly exhausting, but immensely rewarding for my studies. I try always to attend.

A.D.

Edited by A.D. Riddle

Thanks for the info! I did end up joining and being accepted into ETS. I'm considering going for SBL either right before I get my Ph D or after I've written some research papers I want to submit to SBL for possible reading at an event. I've chatted with some other SBL members who have encouraged me to get into my library, start researching and writing, then join SBL when you can come into it with something to present.

What's ASOR and IBR? I'm curious if I'd be interested in joining those.

Thanks again for the info!

Well, the acronyms stand for

Institute for Biblical Research (http://www.ibr-bbr.org/)

and

American Schools of Oriental Research (http://www.asor.org)

Check their websites for more info

Edited by Ken Simpson

I began attending meetings at the beginning of my schooling. I would recommend the same to others. There are also regional meetings which can be helpful.

A.D.

Thanks for the info! I did end up joining and being accepted into ETS. I'm considering going for SBL either right before I get my Ph D or after I've written some research papers I want to submit to SBL for possible reading at an event. I've chatted with some other SBL members who have encouraged me to get into my library, start researching and writing, then join SBL when you can come into it with something to present.

What's ASOR and IBR? I'm curious if I'd be interested in joining those.

Thanks again for the info!

Don't rush in to presenting at one of the Annual Meetings. It could actually hurt more than help. Attend, yes, and listen, make contacts, etc. Try to find a prof who is interested in co-presenting. This is a good way to get the experience and not potentially get embarrassed in front of world-class scholars. For SBL, co-presenting first also allows you to present on your own by only submitting an abstract. As it is, first-time presenters require submission of a full paper before being accepted for presentation (actually all student members might have to submit in full now; this was debated a couple years ago). Regional meetings can also be helpful as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the links to the other two. I'll check those out. Sounds good about the advice about presenting. Before I submit anything anywhere, a couple professors at my seminary said they will read and review my papers and give me some solid feedback before submitting, so that'll definitely help. I like the idea of a co-presenting as well, and I may try to get a professor to do that for my first couple to few submissions. Might be nice to also attend a couple times in person before submitting as well. That way I can see how it all goes down and learn a lot on the way.

Student membership to SBL is $60, but to throw in the printed journal subscriptions, it runs the bill up to around $150. I've thought about getting the printed journal subscriptions so I can immerse myself in the journals while away from all my techie devices, then use the online access for use in papers, etc.

• 3 years later...

If I want to get membership for ETS, do I need a recommendation letter or something from a current ETS member?

If I want to get membership for ETS, do I need a recommendation letter or something from a current ETS member?

I think you do. One of my professors signed off for me on it.

• 3 months later...

Both are great to join and the regional meetings are usually great. ETS has regional meetings as well and are a great entry point into presenting as the members tend to be more congenial and affirming. I would recommend attending a regional meeting for ETS and then presenting the next rotation. I just submitted a paper for my regional SBL and have my fingers crossed!

• Like 3