Corrupt Highlight Files

Joel Brown

We are actively working to make our highlight files more resilient against corruption. If your highlight files experience any sort of problems or crashes, before you revert or delete them, can you please send them to me? Send me a private message if you have a file, or email me directly if you already have my address. Investigating these corrupt files will help us improve them and make them that much more reliable.

Thanks.

Great news! I'll be sure to when I run into the problem next time.

My accordance has been crashing quite a bit. It seems that it is often when I am doing something with highlights.

You can find the highlight files in your user/Documents/Accordance files/Highlights. Please zip and send them to Joel as requested, though it may be some time before anyone can look at them.

• 4 months later...

I have Accordance crashing a lot also. To start it again I delete the Accordance file folder and then it loads and asks to make a new folder and

then it asks for the location of a highlights file which should be in the folder Accordance just created but apparently it is not. I get the error message

"I/O Error #40 in the file highlights". Any help regarding this will be most appreciated.

thanks

Brett

• 2 months later...

I was just getting ready to start a new topic, then saw this one. I just created a new highlight style and every time I try to use it, it's crashing Accordance (without highlighting). Not only that, but the other highlight styles do highlight text, but not the text I actually select. Bummer!

This is for a message I'm giving tomorrow, but I wouldn't expect this to be fixed on a Sunday night.

As Helen notes above, I'll zip up the file and send to Joel.

Are others having issues with highlighting?

The other highlighting styles (from the same file) are now causing it to crash, too....

Over 4 years worth of highlights are in those files! I'd prefer not to lose them. What's Joel's address that I can send the files to him?

Battlesman, I'll send you a message with my contact information. Anybody else, you can directly send me a personal message without having to wait for me to contact you, if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Joel fixed my files, by the way. Thought I should come back here and note that! Thanks, Joel!

I am constantly amazed at the QUALITY and CONSISTENCY of the customer support of Accordance! Although I was not the beneficiary of this particular help I have been helped immeasurably by Keith and others at Accordance. My hat is off to all of you! God bless you for rendering such support to us soldiers in the field! Please have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• 3 months later...

I would love to be able to manipulate highlight files via AppleScript or Automator but looked at them and they are not human readable. Will they be in the future or are they going to remain as is (e.g. I assume they are a proprietary Accordance format).

• 4 months later...

I'm having an issue that may be related to this discussion. I opened Accordance this morning to see an error with my highlights file as well as Accordance wanting to upgrade to 10.2.1. I figured the update must be causing the issue so I just let accordance install and re-launch, and now my highlights files seem to be missing. Upon the relaunch Accordance told me that the highlights files were having issues (don't remember the exact verbiage now). Is this a corruption issue or a file type issue? The last time (a couple of days ago) I opened accordance and all was well, I did enable Dropbox sync. I checked the dropbox folder looking for my highlights files and found nothing in the accordance folder. There I noticed my user notes/highlights/user tools were all gone! (I never had any user tools-but did have some of the others) Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

-Chris

Chris,

Sorry for your troubles. Had you been working on this highlight file recently? Are you linked with Dropbox on other Accordance platforms (iOS/Mac)?

I checked the dropbox folder looking for my highlights files and found nothing in the accordance folder. There I noticed my user notes/highlights/user tools were all gone! (I never had any user tools-but did have some of the others) Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

The best way to recover files, (when linked to DB) is to restore the previous versions on Dropbox.com. For Example, when viewing Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/User Notes you can click the option to "Show deleted files":

Then right-click on the file and select restore.

After restoring the file on Dropbox.com then sync again in Accordance.

Let us know how it goes,

Mike

I haven't touched anything! That's what so surprising! I already looked for deleted files on Dropbox and there are no deleted files - in fact the Accordance folder is there, but nothing is in it. I'm not sure if it ever synced.

As far as other devices, I only have my macbook pro (no ipad/iphone-I'm an android guy).

I've looked for Accordance files in Documents and Library. I don't seem to find any Highlights files? I know they were there last time I used accordance-just a few days ago.

All this trouble started this morning when I updated to 10.2.1...Any ideas?

I haven't touched anything! That's what so surprising! I already looked for deleted files on Dropbox and there are no deleted files - in fact the Accordance folder is there, but nothing is in it. I'm not sure if it ever synced.

So, just to be clear. You have not added/deleted any highlights since linking to Dropbox? What was the name of this highlight (My Highlights)?

I've looked for Accordance files in Documents and Library. I don't seem to find any Highlights files? I know they were there last time I used accordance-just a few days ago.

All this trouble started this morning when I updated to 10.2.1...Any ideas?

It appears that Accordance had trouble doing an initial sync of your Highlight file. Do you have a Time Machine, etc. backup of this file? If you do, could you PM me a copy of the Highlight file before syncing?

Sorry for the hassles,

Mike

I have not added nor deleted any highlights since linking to Dropbox. I'm not sure on the name...I think it was My Highlights. Unfortunately I use Google Drive to backup my important files (I should have added my accordance files there). I don't understand what happened or where the files went (I'm also missing my user notes as well).

I sent you a Private Message requesting more information.

Unfortunately, if you do not have a backup of your User Notes or Highlights then it appears that they are lost. I have not seen a case of all User Notes and Highlights removed from the file system and have no idea what happened (Very Sorry!)

After you forward the requested information (through PM), then we will advise you on how to proceed.

Again, very sorry for the lose of your user content,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Think I'm having this issue. Was working with my highlights folder, and suddenly Accordance crashed. Now though, it will not even launch. HELP please!

aharon,

I also experienced this. I moved the corrupt highlight file to the desktop and when you restart Accordance it will allow you to start a new highlight file or perhaps select a different one. Since I use dropbox I have gotten into the habit of copying my highlight file that resides in my dropbox folder BEFORE anything happens and place it on my desktop as a backup. So far that has worked well but I must also add that this issue has NOT cropped again!

Edited by Bob Deacon

so, removing the highlight file resolved it. Is there any way to get that back? I do have it in Dropbox. However, is that file now corrupted? I would like to be able to retain that file if possible. However, it's not a huge file, and I've only recently begun using highlights regularly, so if I lose it, then so be it. Is there any way to not corrupt the files? Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug that is being addressed?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Aharon,

My dropbox file was NOT corrupted and it is possible yours is not as well provided you DID NOT do a dropbox sync after Accordance shut down. I did lose a few highlights but not many.

Edited by Bob Deacon

• 4 weeks later...

I just experienced ANOTHER highlight corruption incident! Dialog box indicates another memory error-116 "readtoolhighliteinfo" or something to that affect. Approximately 2-3 seconds after dialog box appeared Accordance crashed! I have given up with that set of highlights and have initiated another set and will begin again! Not happy!

• 4 months later...

I had the same highlighter file corruption problem 2 or 3 times. Then I disabled auto sync with the Dropbox in the application's preferences. Problem solved or at least minimized. Once Mac version started to crash, I connected my iPhone to my Mac and with the PhoneView app got still un damaged highlighter file from the Accordance app. Copied it over to the Mac app's highlighter location and the problem solved. Now I sync only when I finish work session.

(I guess it could be done also by restoring previous file version from the Dropbox web page. But I'm not sure about that.)

• 1 year later...

This monster has come back only this time since there has been no problem for quite a long time I kept NO backup! My main note file is UNUSABLE! Not happy this morning!