Lost Functionalities in versions 10 and 11

Ken Roe

Lost Functionalities

Versions 10 and 11 of Accordance appear to have left behind enough original functionalities that I’m now finding the new version 11 an obstacle instead of a help to my study of the Bible—at least compared to what I used to be able to do with Accordance. It may be that some or all of those functionalities are still there but so far I’ve not found anyone at Accordance that can find them. If I’m correct that they are no longer there, I’m happy to go back to version 9 (or even 8) if necessary, but I’d prefer it if some of the lost functionalities could be reinstated and built back into newer versions.

If anyone can help me find how to do what follows, I’d love to hear; otherwise, I’m hoping that future releases might restore some of these lost functionalities—only one of which I’m addressing in this particular forum entry.

Critical to the way I use Accordance is the ability to save a session with multiple windows, each of which always opens in the same place and size. This pre-defined, multi-window, saved-session capability is still there, but the functionality for which I designed those pre-opened and carefully positioned windows appears largely lost.

For example, it used to be that if I triple-clicked on a word in the KJV text, my pre-opened, pre-sized, and precisely located window for the Strong’s lexicon would immediately come to the front displaying the Strong’s lexicon entry corresponding to that word. Then I could do the same with the NIV, and my similarly preset NIV-GK lexicon window would behave similarly. And then the same for the NAS. So after three triple-clicks in one window, I would have three lexicons open to the same Hebrew or Greek word, all visible at the same time (because of my prior sizing and placement of those windows in the saved session), and still have all three of the English Bible texts from those translations also visible at the same time—again in my predefined locations and window-sizes. And then if I want to pursue that word-analysis further, I could also have cycled through various other lexicons or dictionaries one at a time, all without covering the other related elements (KJV, NIV, and NAS texts and lexicons) in my saved session’s predefined layout for such study.

Why that’s important to me and how I use those precisely structured and precisely located session windows goes beyond what is appropriate for a forum entry about software functionality, but suffice it to say here that I now can get to an approximation of that result only by means of much manual selection, typing, window-resizing, window-moving, and/or zone-detaching—all of which takes my thought away from the text I’m working at understanding. In fact, it’s sufficiently annoying and distracting that I at times find myself either not wanting to distract myself by pursuing certain ancillary paths of study—or pulling out my old bound books again instead of using the Accordance software.

So in summary, one of the functionalities I’m hoping can be restored is the ability to triple-click (or use some other simple method) on a word in an English text from KJV, NIV, and NAS, and have my predefined and pre-located windows for the Strong’s, NIV, and NAS Hebrew or Greek lexicons linked to each those translations become active and to open immediately to the entry in question, and to do so in the lexicon window I have already pre-opened, pre-sized, and placed in my desired location in the saved session I use for much of my study.

I have a similar but more complex problem with lost functionality with my User Notes, but there are enough differences in that functionality loss that I’ll not add detail on that in this forum entry.

Can anyone help with this? And if this functionality is truly lost, then can it be built back into a future release?

Ken, I believe all you need to do is uncheck the 'Override Key Number Dictionaries' option in the Amplify Preferences.

That did the trick all right. Not sure how I missed that in all my searching—and discussions with support folks at Accordance. Unless I find a similar preferences-based solution to my User Notes problem, I'll add a description of that to this forum topic in the next few days. Acc Support hasn't been able to help with that either so far. Thanks for your quick response; you've begun restoring some efficiency in my Bible study!!!