Exporting Text in a Text File to Excel

Nick Bartol

User Community:

I am new to Accordance but am a long time Logos user. I am accustomed to taking text output from Greek and Hebrew searches and loading such into a spreadsheet (Excel) for further analysis (mainly categorization of different occurrences of the subject word into various categories of meanings). For instance, the Hebrew word yad means, at its most basic level "hand" but it also has extended meanings such as "power," etc. If one groups the different meanings, one can get a better sense of what the word means in a specific passage, the one one is studying.

My question is, "How have the rest of you addressed this issue? Have you exported to Excel or other spreadsheets? Do you perform this function in word processoring software? Do you use a different approach altogether?" I am particularly interested in hearing from those who use spreadsheets or other software permitting elaborate sorting.

Thanks for your help.

Nick,

It might help if you explained what kind of information you're copying into your speadsheet, and what kind of sorting you're doing.

Without a clear understanding of what you're after, the best I can think to suggest is that you select some Greek or Hebrew text, click the Parse button on the Resource palette, and then paste all the parsing info into your spreadsheet. The tab delimited columns of the parse window will paste right into a spreadsheet.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Good Question.

Let's say that I am doing a Hebrew word study. Generally, the search would target would be the the verb and any nouns or adjectives derived from the tri-radical root (e.g., the Hebrew words listed under the root in BDB). The result would be a list of verses in which the verb, noun(s), and adjective(s) occurred. I would run this search two ways: one with output in Hebrew and the other with output in English. These two outputs would then be loaded into two consecutive columns in the spreadsheet with headers looking like: canonical sequence number, Bible reference, Hebrew text, English text. I would then add column(s) with various categorizations such as meaning, subject, object, etc.

Does this answer your question fully enough?

Archived