Search Help

jarcher

I hate posting questions here that I should be able to figure out from the manual but after 2 hours of working on this last night I give up. Would anyone be able to help me with a search example?

I'm trying to find all pres active nom sing masc part that occur a certain number of times. I've been doing two searches. The first search I've been doing is [VERB pres active nom sing masc part]. The second search I'm doing is [HIT GNT-T] <AND> [COUNT 10]. However, in my second search the always returns more hits than the first. I believe that my problem is related to the second search syntax but I can't seem to find a reliable example and I've tried many different syntax forms.

Thanks!

Jeremy

I am trying to figure out the answer, but the shortcut is to search for the verbs, click Details and Analysis and display it as count down (or up) in Set Analysis Display. Then you see that only one verb fits the bill (I assume you want the lexical forms that appear as VERB pres active nom sing masc part):

παραδίδωμι to deliver, deliver over = 10

I will come back on the HITS and COUNT search in a few minutes.

OK: this has proved to be an interesting exercise. I thought that we could do this by using the @ sign to combine the search criteria, something like [VERB pres active nom sing masc part]@ [COUNT 10], but that did not work, neither did [HIT GNT-T]@ [COUNT 10]. Normally that is what you do to specify that both parts of the criteria must apply on the same word. For example, [VERB]@ [COUNT 10] does find all verbs that occur 10 times, and [HIT GNT-T]@ [COUNT 10 =t] finds all the lemmas found in the GNT-T window that have a tag that occurs 10 times in the range (but not necessarily 10 times on each lemma). The command just means both must occur in the same verse (or sentence, clause, etc.) so it is clearly not the right one here.

The key is to understand the COUNT command. It pulls up the list of lemmas, inflected forms, tags, or key numbers that occur the specified number of times in the current range. Then it compares this list with the rest of the criteria. So it counts before doing the rest of the search.

Therefore the only way to find lemmas with a tag that occurs a specified number of times is to use the analysis window, as I did above.

Thanks for the help Helen. I don't feel so bad that I couldn't figure it out!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Archived