Construct Search Results or Criteria Error?

Mark Nigro

I was searching for יוֹם in the HMT-W4 via the construct search window. My criteria was: noun, common, plural, masculine. I further required that they agree in lexical form and number. But since I was getting hits that included the absolute, which I didn't want, I later selected "NOT" absolute in the noun drop down criteria. Oddly, I still received results with the plural absolute יָמִ֔ים in Leviticus 8:33 and elsewhere. I thought this hit should have been excluded based on the "NOT" absolute selection? Have I set up the criteria incorrectly or missed something?

Edited by Mark Nigro

Hi Mark,

maybe I am misunderstanding what you are trying to do, but it seems to me that it is working fine.

The HIT in Dt 8:33 is ימי and is ימי (יום) יום 1 Noun comm masc plur constr day (Subject)

as you can see the result is exactly what you would expect, it's not the absolute noun/adjective.

Earlier in the verse we have ימים עד יום and both of these nouns are in construct. So it hasn't "hit" ימים even though it is masculine and plural, because it's absolute.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say "Perhaps this is more than I needed, but I had also required that they agree in lexical form and number" - what are you trying to get יום to agree with. You have to have two terms to have it agree, and I can't see what your two terms are - maybe that is why יָמִ֔ים is showing up.

Could you screencap your construct window and post it?

Edited by Ken Simpson

Ken, thanks for the quick reply. The wrong hit I received was Leviticus 8:33 rather than Deuteronomy. But I have just tried a change to my criteria that took care of my problem (See screen shot of correct criteria attached). The mistake I was making was in the agree conditions, which held agree in "lexical form" rather than "inflected form." In either case, am I unnecessarily using the "agree" in this? I am thinking perhaps I need a refresher of David Lang's DVD tutorials on how to use the construct window.

post-29340-0-92882500-1350291919_thumb.jpg

Your AGREE is specifying not that yom be a Noun comm masc plur constr, but that it agree with a word in the same scope (verse, chapter etc) that is a Noun comm masc plur constr. That's why Ken asked what it was agrreeing with. You simply need to put these criteria under your LEX yom to make them apply to that word. That's the same as using the @ in the search tab: yom@[Noun comm masc plur constr]. The @ joins additional criteria so that they must apply to the same word.

Ok, thank you both again! I suspected I might be applying the criteria incorrectly. I'll have to go through the tutorials again (it's been a few years) and start applying the power of this awesome approach to searching.

Hi Mark,

you know, I looked at Lev 8, and I wrote Dt 8! Sigh - must be late onset stupidity....

Here is what the construct that Helen was talking about looks like....

post-29509-0-24169500-1350332530_thumb.jpg

Though this search can be done without a construct window.

יום@ [NOUN common masculine plural -absolute]

!Anyway, glad you have it sorted