Change Book order in OT search?

John55

When I search for a Hebrew word in bhs-w4, the search results come up in Hebrew Bible order (e.g., Judges then Samuel), not English Bible order (e.g., Judges then Ruth).

Is there a way to switch the Accordance bhs search results to English Bible order? I've tried adding some English Bibles to the display, but they just follow the Hebrew order, since the search results are from bhs.

[Yes, I know that having Hebrew book order for a Hebrew search is normally a good thing. But my current project requires me to compare my accordance results with something that is in English book order, so having the Accordance entries in a different order slows me down significantly.]

Thanks for any help!

John

I suggest selecting all the verses and copying them to a Reference List tab (Selection menu). It won't keep the hits highlights, but you will have your set of verses and can use any Bible in the Text order menu and in the display panes.

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion!

Unfortunately, the hits highlighting (I mouse over the Hebrew and the corresponding English is highlighted) is the whole reason I was trying Accordance for this. It's a great feature to help me work quickly through thousands of verb forms, since I still skim English faster than Hebrew. =)

בִּבְרָכָה

John

That kind of highlighting will still work, just the "permanent" highlight of the hits only works in the Search tab, and you cannot reorganize verses there. You could add a user Highlight to all the hit words, and they will show up in the Reference list tab.

Two other options that may help:

1) Instead of searching for the hebrew word, try searching your english text for the appropriate key number. So, for example, instead of searching for ברא, use your instant details to find that that is H1254, and search your keyed text for [KEY H1254] (Shift-command-K, or Search -> Enter Command -> KEY).

2) Instead of using a reference list, you could also set up an english tab to use the search [CONTENTS BHS-W4] (or whatever your hebrew tab is called). Enter it via the Search -> Enter Command -> CONTENTS, or Shift-Command-C, and it should bring in your hebrew tab name properly. This tab will then automatically update as you run different searches, and you could even add a hebrew pane to it to see the verses in hebrew. The only thing that won't come over is the automatic search hits highlighting (usually, this is a red bold look). These can only apply to the original search, which always displays its results in the book order of the searched text. But, you can use the CONTENTS or Reference List to take the hit verses and show them in a different order. You can also Highlight All Hits with one of your highlight styles, if you want to see the words brought over to your new tab.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I'm searching for verbs with a certain inflection, and I definitely want my hits highlighted (since I have thousands of verses to check), so I'll try out the reference-list-with-user-highlighting-of-the-hits-approach. (I assume that the English-key approach doesn't have verb stem tagging, i.e., Qal, Piel, etc.)

Is there an online tutorial on reference lists and user highlighting? I'm an Accordance newbie.

todah rabbah!

John

I suggest that you use the Help files as they cover all the topics in detail. There are podcasts available on many topics, but certainly not all. If you want to email or PM me, I can demonstrate this via a screenshare. Send me a Skype or iChat contact and I'll do my best.