Can Accordance do this? Search question

Diggertoo

Is there a way to do a search on the inflected form of a Greek word and come up with a list of all the different English words used to translate it? Searching on a Strong's number in a tagged text returns a list of all the English terms used to translate the Greek root form of the word. I'm wondering if it's possible to do that kind of a thing with each inflected word in the GNT?

I think you will have to do this one by one: search for your form and then put the English text in parallel and see how each one is translated. If the English text has key numbers, the corresponding word "should" highlight as you run the cursor over the hit word in the Greek, but Accordance does not produce a report showing the list.

I say "should" because it actually highlights all words in the verse that have been tagged with the same Strong's number. This enables us to apply this feature to any of the growing number of key number texts and tagged original texts, rather than limiting it to a specialized set of original/translation texts in which the words are matched more specifically.

Remember that all tagging schemes are dependent on the judgment of the taggers, and that Strong's numbers in particular have great problems when a word is translated by a phrase or vice versa. You will get a better result by examining the translations yourself, in parallel with the original.

Diggertoo, (Hmmm, why am I suddenly humming "The most wonderful thing about Tiggers"?)

If you have the Greek Parsing Reference tool, you can do exactly what you're asking. See today's post on the Accordance Blog.

Diggertoo, (Hmmm, why am I suddenly humming "The most wonderful thing about Tiggers"?)

If you have the Greek Parsing Reference tool, you can do exactly what you're asking. See today's post on the Accordance Blog.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question, with pictures no less. For me they are worth a thousand words. This information puts me in the ballpark so that I can, as Helen wrote, examine the translations myself, "in parallel with the original."

Right now I am working to sell my Logos software so that I can purchase Accordance in the very near future. In the mean time I am working through all the great Accordance video tutorials as a head start on the learning curve. They'll help make the transition much easier. The videos are going to be the door through which I become a loyal Accordance user and enthusiastic supporter.

I have slowly accumulated my modules but never actually had a 'library' as far as I know.

How would I know? and if I don't have a 'library' but do have lots of tagged texts is there another way of doing this?

When I saw this I immediately finished the stanza... I'm the only one. I thought it was a subtle pointer to another unique Accordance function!

Ron,

The Greek Parsing tool is included in the Library Collection Introductory Level or above. If you've just purchased the Scholar's Collection and individual modules to date, you can either add the Introductory level to get it, or you can just add the Basic Group of modules for $49. Both options are included on the Primary 8.1 DVD, so it's just a matter of getting an unlock code.

Hope that helps.

Ron,

The Greek Parsing tool is included in the Library Collection Introductory Level or above. If you've just purchased the Scholar's Collection and individual modules to date, you can either add the Introductory level to get it, or you can just add the Basic Group of modules for $49. Both options are included on the Primary 8.1 DVD, so it's just a matter of getting an unlock code.

Hope that helps.

David

So although I have the Primary 8.1 DVD I still need to purchase the separate Parsing Tool?

Archived