Greek/English Interlinear - Alfred Marshall translation

Julia Falling

Hey - I have considered trying to learn NT Greek, but feel that I have enough to do in attempting to understand the English Scriptures and in striving to obey them. An interlinear would be very helpful.

The hard copy I have is a parallel in Greek and English translated by Alfred Marshall from the 21st edition of Nestle's Novum Testamentum Graece. An interlinear functions differently than the little

Instant Details box in Accordance, and would be more useful when examining a verse or passage as opposed to doing an individual word study. It allows the user to quickly determine if a pronoun is singular or plural, for instance, without having to learn all the Gk case endings. Verb tenses would also be more available.

I have some understanding of the differences between the various Gk texts, but not sufficient knowledge to judge the merits of the various Nestle editions against the NA27. Since the Premier Level of Accordance gives me the TR and the Majority Text, I would rather have an interlinear of one of Nestle's editions or the NA27. Being a serious student but not a scholar, I could really use this kind of help. Accordance has so spoiled me that I really resist dragging out a bunch of books to lay all over my desk along with my Mac!

If there is another way to get the kind of function I'm seeking w/o an interlinear, I'm open to that, too. Parsing may give me correspondance between the English and the Gk from which it was translated, but it looks to me like all the verbs are in 1st person singular, and the nouns and pronouns are nominative singular (but not knowing the Gk language, I may be all wrong about this).

Thanks.

Parsing may give me correspondance between the English and the Gk from which it was translated, but it looks to me like all the verbs are in 1st person singular, and the nouns and pronouns are nominative singular (but not knowing the Gk language, I may be all wrong about this).

Thanks.

Julie,

You may be confusing the lemma (or lexical form) with the inflected form in the parsing information. The inflected form varies according to the person, number, and/or case. The lemma is the form of the word you look up in the lexicon or dictionary. In Greek, the lemma/lexical form for verbs is the first person singular, and the lemma/lexical form for nouns is nominative singular. The parsing window should show you both the inflected form AND the lemma/lexical form; if not, check the settings for the parsing window (good old command-T) If this doesn't make sense, I would suggest posting a screen shot of the parsing you're referring to.

Have you tried working with one of the English texts with Key numbers, next to a Greek text?

Blessings,

Lorinda

Julie:

Since you are looking at the GNT-TRS you do not have full parsing, only the lemma via the Strong's number. The grammatically tagged versions on the Scholar's Collection would give you the full details for each word, both in Instant Details and in the Parsing window.

Archived