tools footnotes improvement

Ken Han

When I read a book (the paper kind) I detest endnotes, and greatly prefer footnotes instead. The reading experience with endnotes is just too cumbersome.

In some ways, the current setup for looking up footnotes via instant details resembles endnotes rather than footnotes, as I need to manually move the pointer over each footnote marker to read them. And with more scholarly works, with longer footnotes, more often than not the instant detail panel can't display all of the footnotes, unless I keep the instant panels always big, which consumes valuable screen real estate, and makes the instant details panel otherwise unavailable.

I'd love to see tools gain an ability to open its own parallel pane the way biblical texts can open associated cross ref or notes pane that flows with the biblical texts. I'm imagining the footnotes pane that is tied to the tools to flow with the text of the tool, appropriately displaying the footnotes in view. This has the advantage of leaving the instant details for other purposes. For example, as I work with my tagged Greek/Hebrew text, the instant details pane can display parsing/syntax info, while a relevant reference tool can show both its text and footnotes.

• Like 1

I understand the logic here, but I doubt it will ever happen because it would involve completely redesigning our current paradigm. One thing I do in these cases is use the ID popover to display footnotes. It is capable of scrolling to view the full content.

Another possibility is to open two instances of the same tool. Keep the first instance open to the text. Open the second to the relevant footnote section (See attached.).

post-29215-0-99052000-1398355741_thumb.png

Dr. J,

Yes, that is a workaround. But the extra chrome takes up so much space (every pixel matters in a 13 inch screen) and does not scroll in sync with the text. But, yes, it works.

I see your point, Ken. Yes, I think the sort of view you suggested would be nice. I'm not sure where I'd put it in the list of priorities, though, if I were in charge of it (and I am not!).

I know working on a 13" screen is tough. I have a 17" MBP which has a large display (though nothing like a retina MBP). I still find myself taking along an external monitor when I travel (or using AirSquirrel's AirParrot to extend my screen to my iPad).

Yes, I know. I am a geek.

• Like 1

AirParrot will connect with an iPad? Do you have to have any addition app installed on your iPad to do this?

Thanks. Didn't think the description of AirParrot sounded right.

While I agree with Tim in that this isn't a major priority, I do however see it as something of importance. I am of the opinion a digital version should do everything the print does and more. I read only academic literature (except those times when I read to my son), and the footnote is a significant innovation. Even as an author, the footnote is my means of caveat, a supplemental feature to demonstrate to my reader additional material, all the while pertinent information to the argument at hand.

With that being said, I also believe innovation is a destructive process. I draw the parallel of my academic writing—of which writing code is its own essay of sorts—when I re-envision how I could make my writing more appealing to my reader. Yes, it takes me time to get it to my level of desired perfection—that state whereby I offer a service to my reader in piquing interests and thinking carefully about the subject matter.

I believe there are suitable workarounds for the meanwhile—but I believe the algorithms are possible. I think this entire discussion is exacerbate in the world of the iPad. I prefer PDFs on my iPad for this very reason!

Edited by James Tucker

• 1 month later...

I am currently reading a chunk of Wallace's Greek Grammar which has many footnotes. I would love a feature such as Ken describes here - I in fact spent some time looking for ways to do it. I cannot alas find a way to open this tool's notes in a separate as Dr. J suggested. The fact that ID can do it suggests that format is not an issue. A dynamic document for a parallel pane could be constructed based on currently visible footnote tags, it would really just be like a multi-lookup ID dropped into a pane. I know, easy for me to say, and plenty else you have already on your plates. But ... it would be nice ...

OK I now see how to open it - wasn't thinking - but as Ken points out, no tie for scrolling.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler