Upgrades

scottbushey

I am considering upgrading from the essentials to advanced. I have a concern. When I purchased the Essentials collection, I did not think I would be nickel and dimed on the upgrades. What do I mean by this? Well, I paid 450 for the essentials and that with a 15% discount. Now, to upgrade to advanced, even with the 20% discount, with tax, it is still $508. Doing the math, 508 plus 450 is 958. Thats $150 dollars more than if I purchased the advanced collection to begin with. Why is that?
Regards,
Edited by scottbushey

Hi, I'm not in sales, so I might not get this right, but you might notice that the regular price for the advanced collection is $999. So you are definitely getting it cheaper than that.

What you are not getting is the advanced collection as if you had bought it while on sale or at the show, or wherever you got the 15% discount. (Plus - 15% off 999 is $850 by my reckoning, unless I am missing something here).

Someone from sales will have a definitive answer, but this is just something to add to the mix of thoughts...

:)

Edited by Ken Simpson

Scott: it was a marketing decision that when you upgrade from a lower collection to a higher you pay a little more than the difference. This gives people an incentive to invest more in Accordance from the start. However, within three months of your original purchase we do give you full credit for what you purchased so you would just pay the difference.

Sales tax applies only to Florida residents, at least for now, and at major conventions.

• 3 months later...

A little bit OffTopic, but I hope not much: if I possess some books of a collection, there is a way I can get a discount if I buy it? Because I wanted the JPS collection, and I already have some products, I bought recently.

No, I am sorry, but it's like buying another copy of the same book. No bookstore would give you a discount, and neither would the publishers allow us to do so.

I am afraid this has never made much sense to me other companies have dynamic pricing. With my own example. I owned the Eerdmans Dictionary before upgrading to 10, does that mean I have two copies and can sell or give away one to another person??? If it truly is buying another book, our accounts should register the multiple licences. Otherwise I can not say we are truly buying another book. Now I am of course not saying I own book ABC in software XYZ so I should be able to access it in Accordance. I am fully willing to acknowledge that in that case it is like purchasing a new copy or another copy in a different binding. But i do understand your position ironically enough I likely own at least 7 different copies of NIV 1984, having it come with numerous Zondervan CD-ROMS, and I do realize that if I sold the CDROM it would be the whole collection, need to be reported to Accordance and have transfer fees paid.

-Dan

Agreed Dan. It is more complicated than simply comparing digital licensing to physical purchases. I owned several volumes of physical commentary sets I re-bought in Accordance. I was however, able to sell those physical copies and thereby, in essence, reduce my total cost.

That doesn't at all make the transition to digital Accordance's responsibility to compensate me- just shows where the analogy breaks down.

As much as I love digital resources it's important to keep in mind that you are licensing the resource not buying it in the sense we are all used to with physical products.

regarding scottbushey's original question. Incentivizing initial purchases is standard practice in most sales systems. Rarely is upgrading ever completely equal to making a one time purchase.

Edited by jeremyduncan
  • Like 1