LXX apparatus

PhilT

I'm new here, seeking some wisdom. Just enrolled in an LXX class on 1 Samuel. I have Rahlf's text of the LXX, both tagged and untagged (course requirement). What I would like to know, is: is there an apparatus available for the Rahlf's text. If not, is there one on the net freely available? How do the Sweete and Cambridge apparati compare with the Rahlf's apparati? Thanks for your assistance

Leaving you in God's Care and Grace

PhilT

Welcome to Accordance, Phil.

We hope to offer Rahlf's apparatus, still working with the German Bible Society on that. Swete apparatus is rather basic but covers the entire LXX. Cambridge is much more in depth, but was never completed, and we don't yet have all that there is. Here is the description from the website:

The Larger Cambridge Septuagint is an older critical edition begun in 1906 and edited by Alan E. Brooke, Norman McLean, and Henry St John Thackeray. The text is a diplomatic text, reproducing Codex Vaticanus with a critical apparatus of variant readings from other manuscripts. The series is incomplete since publication ceased in 1940 after completion of Genesis through Esther together with 1 Esdras, Judith, and Tobit. Like the G

• 2 years later...

Is there an ETA on when Accordance's Cambridge LXX will have more added to it, as in, the rest of what's in print? I know you all are doing a lot right now... Is this project for Accord currently active?

Curious to hear any info on the remaining volumes, if they are being actively pursued (in Accordance)?

Although I don't own this module, it's my understanding that only one fascicle of the third volume was ever published (containing Esther, Judith, and Tobit). All eight fascicles are freely available online in PDF form.

(I know this doesn't answer Abram's question... I just thought it might be helpful to note that only three books are missing from the Accordance module, and they're available on the web.)

• Like 1

Although I don't own this module, it's my understanding that only one fascicle of the third volume was ever published (containing Esther, Judith, and Tobit). All eight fascicles are freely available online in PDF form.

http://archive.org/details/OldTestamentGreeklxxTextCodexVaticanus appears to be all of the PDFs you mentioned. Of course, the advantage in Accordance is that it is text rather than images and it is searchable.

• Like 2

http://archive.org/details/OldTestamentGreeklxxTextCodexVaticanus appears to be all of the PDFs you mentioned. Of course, the advantage in Accordance is that it is text rather than images and it is searchable.

You're absolutely right... it's much more effective and convenient to have these resources available as Accordance modules rather than PDFs. (It's why I purchased LSJ, even though it's freely available through tools such as Perseus and Diogenes.) I just wanted everyone to know that if they had a burning desire to examine the Cambridge LXX in these books, there was a way to do so. ;)

Edited by Matthew Burgess

Unless I missed it, Esther, Judith and Tobit are not among the PDFs in that link.

I inquired about this and was told that at the time we produced our version we included all of the volumes that we could find that were in the public domain. There may have been a couple published later and not in the public domain. If someone finds a PDF of those volumes we'd be happy to take a closer look at including them.

The fascicle containing Esther, Judith, and Tobit is freely available here. The title page lists a publication date of 1940. According to the notation on the webpage, "[t]he online edition of this book in the public domain, i.e., not protected by copyright, has been produced by the Emory University Digital Library Publications Program." I'm certainly not an expert in copyright law, but if the fascicle is actually in the public domain, there is a PDF available.

I was told about a volume from 1940 and that it was not PD; it must have been this one. I can request that it be looked into again by our rights / licensing guru.

• 1 month later...

Any update on that 1940 volume?

Nothing new. But, even if we find out it is in the PD, it still involves a considerable amount of work to transcribe and tag it. And, finishing Göttingen is a higher priority right now.

• Like 1

Nothing new. But, even if we find out it is in the PD, it still involves a considerable amount of work to transcribe and tag it. And, finishing Göttingen is a higher priority right now.

Oh I can't wait for Göttingen! I plan to buy all the volumes hoping for a good initial discount price.

• Like 1

Oh I can't wait for Göttingen! I plan to buy all the volumes hoping for a good initial discount price.

Agreed! If the introductory discount is attractive, this is one that I'll buy immediately.

We have already released several volumes of Gottingen, as we prepare them. It will be a long time before we can decide that we have a "complete set." I do not think there will be any major introductory specials as we are investing a lot in the preparation of each volume. Our users seem very pleased with the results.