Scrivener for Sermons?

Abram K-J

Pretty cool. Don't tell the inimitable Joe Weaks this, but I haven't been using Services much lately in my workflow. However, that will probably change soon.

I can even search in Accordance from Logos. I can maximize all my resources that way. Really cool.

I must say, using services to search Accordance from Logos does sound ironic ...

• Like 1

Revtim, I didn't want to imply anything by my comment other than I am enjoying the ability to bridges all the resources I have, both in Logos and Accordance. They are both outstanding research tool with very specific differences. One is only better than the other depending of your focus, study styles and personal preferences. There are things that Accordance is better, easier and faster while there are things that Logos can do that Accordance cannot. I am glad that each company have a clear and distinctive approach to Bible software. It is that difference that makes them both important to the Bible student.

So I am not sure why it should sound ironic at all. I wish I could the same thing from Accordance to Logos.

I have and use both Logos and Accordance. I love both programs and I am blessed by how both allows me to dig into God's Word in different ways. I know that many here own and use both too. That is why I shared what I said.

Edited by davidmedina

David,

I did not mean to offend if I did. I have not worked with Logos. I simply thought searching in one Bible program from another ironic.

Thanks Tim. No worries.

I do have resources in Accordance and I don't have in Logos (Like the WBC and Pillar Commentaries and Mounce NT) and thought it was cool that Services allows me to bridge resources between both software.

Hey guys, I just figured out that with the new URI capability I can also create a link from within Scrivener to something in Accordance. Scrivener appears to automatically detect that what I've typed is a URI. Just for gags I tried this in Scrivener:

accord://search/VULG-T?principium

After I hit return Scrivener converted it to a link, and when I clicked on it, Accordance came forward and searched the tagged Vulgate for "principium." :-) This could be veeeery useful… Research notes to commentaries, lecture notes to maps or graphics, etc.

Tony

• Like 2

David,

what service do you use to search Accordance from Logos?

Is that a right click option, a service option, or a system shortcut you have setup?

Can you describe that and post a screen shot?

thanks,

r

Ross, the right click in logos won't give you the Services option. You need to click on the menu "logos">Services and the choose the one you want to use. The only one that works for me is Search Word.

But for reason tthe two searches with options won't work for me, no matter what I am using.

• 1 month later...

Depending on the progress you've made in your decision on Scrivener, you might want to check out the MacUpdate Bundle at:

http://deals.macupdate.com/

10 days left to get Scrivener bundled with 9 other Mac apps for 49.99.

• Like 1

I note that it includes Bookends, too. That's a great deal.

I thought I'd posted more of my reflections on Scrivener here, but I guess I forgot. I did a brief write-up here on using it for a grad school paper.

And I use it every week now for sermon prep. Here's a screenshot of how it's set up now:

• 9 months later...

I would sure like some workflow help from those of you who have adopted Scrivener to your sermon prep work flow . My current workflow involves both Accordance and Logos (I keep exegetical notes in Logos). I shape my outline in iThoughtsx, then write in Ulysses. Loose notes I keep in markup files (nvAlt or Devonthink to organize/tag and search), and the graphics associated with the passage I collect in a graphic directory for sermon development. I've never quite got the hang of outlining in Scrivener, but would love to find a place where I can keep the loose collection of stuff that ends up going into a sermon, the outline and the sermon text together. Help me understand how you shape the outline in Scrivener compared to using a mapping tool like iThoughtsx (and does anyone use Scrapple?).

Thanks.

• Like 1

Clint,

I have a template for sermons in Scrivener that I would be happy to share. I use only Accordance. I do all my reading and research there, as well as take notes on the passage. Then copy and paste everything into the sermon template.

As for outlining I simply use a page titled "outline" in the draft folder. Everything else goes in research.

I have purchased a license for Scapple and I like the program. I just don't find myself using it.

If you would be interested, I would be happy to send you my sermon template, simply PM me an email address.

Tim,

Can you make the template available in the Exchange so we all have access? The Exchange sometimes seems one of the more under-used resources available to us Accordance users. Thanks.

I would sure like some workflow help from those of you who have adopted Scrivener to your sermon prep work flow . My current workflow involves both Accordance and Logos (I keep exegetical notes in Logos). I shape my outline in iThoughtsx, then write in Ulysses. Loose notes I keep in markup files (nvAlt or Devonthink to organize/tag and search), and the graphics associated with the passage I collect in a graphic directory for sermon development. I've never quite got the hang of outlining in Scrivener, but would love to find a place where I can keep the loose collection of stuff that ends up going into a sermon, the outline and the sermon text together. Help me understand how you shape the outline in Scrivener compared to using a mapping tool like iThoughtsx (and does anyone use Scrapple?).

Thanks.

Big fan of Ulysses here, though I've recently moved back to Scrivener for writing sermon drafts (I had been using Ulysses). You could probably use Scrivener to simplify some steps--instead of keeping loose notes as markup files in different apps, you could dump everything into Scrivener. If you check out my Binder in the attached screenshot, you can see how I do something similar.

P.S. How do you like and how do you use iThoughts? Curious to know more about that--I've never quite connected with mind mapping, but am curious to hear more.

post-31802-0-54940500-1435948856_thumb.png

In my workflow, iThoughtsX is critical since it can export a map as a markdown or OPML file and dumps into my plain text notes collection. Set up properly, mindmaping software is a visual outliner and helps me work with the connection between my Big Idea and the supporting structure. iThoughtsX%20Outline.png

• Like 1