Yosemite Install Experience

Julia Falling

OK. I know a lot of you have installed Yosemite. I got it on my MacBook Air last night without any problems. Just out of curiosity, I checked to see how much free space I had on my drive before and after. Before = 121 G; after = 213 G. That is a gain of 92 GB! Haven't yet noticed any loss of data and everything seems to be working. Today will tell.

Things did not go as smoothly with the Mac mini. The install stalled with 7 minutes until completion. I went to bed. Got up this morning to find that there were still 7 minutes. With fear and trepidation, I turned the mini off. It's backed up with time machine so if things got really bad I knew I could restore from there. I restarted and the install completed without a hitch. Very strange. I had done a web search last night and discovered that the stalls were pretty common.

I'm not wild about the vivid blue folders. A more subtle color option would have been nice.

• Like 1

I was in the beta. I have not had any major problems. Upon release, I backed up and did a clean install. Outside of my Bible programs, I can be up and running within an hour. I have a current macbook pro retina. When I first did the beta I was not as impressed until I worked the OS. I don't mind the colors. I do like the font update to thin Helvetica Neue.

I think the extra space are temp and installation files. I would guess that if you took the time to do a clean install (I know, a headache) you would reclaim a lot of space.

Looking forward to seeing how version 11 takes advantage of Yosemite and iOS8.

I was not in the beta, but installed Yosemite this morning. I was surprised at how fast and painless it was. I like the new look, too.

Now, if I could only afford to spring for a new 5K retina iMac!

Edited by Timothy Jenney
  • Like 5

Julie,

If you go to settings/general I think you can select graphite over the blue. Just installed Yosemite and saw the option, but have not changed it.

I was not in the beta, but installed Yosemite this morning. I was surprised at how fast and painless it was. I like the new look, too.

Now, if I could only afford to spring for a new 5K retina iMac!

Just got a mid-2014 macbook pro. I am waiting for the Retina Display but I don't think we will see that until very late 2015 or 2016. Pushes too many pixels for even thunderbolt 2. Those 5k look impressive. Almost makes me want a iMac.

The key advice: DON'T GO TO THE APPLE STORE AND LOOK AT ONE!

• Like 2

I do like the font update to thin Helvetica Neue.

Isn't Helvetica Neue the default install font for Accordance texts? Looks like Apple is taking their cues from OakTree!

• Like 1

I am waiting for the Retina Display but I don't think we will see that until very late 2015 or 2016.

Do I remember correctly that an iMac can be used strictly as a monitor? $2499 for 5K monitor is cheaper than the 4K Sharp monitor that Apple sells in their store.

Rick, you are correct that an iMac can be used strictly as a monitor. Simply plug from one thunderbolt port into another, and the iMac should be recognized as an optional monitor. I'm going to be doing that with my hopefully-soon-to-be MB Air 11.6 inch connected with my iMac at the office.

Oh, and I had no problems at all with the Yosemite install, and I'm pleased to say that Accordance is working perfectly :)

Edited by Mark Nigro

Do I remember correctly that an iMac can be used strictly as a monitor? $2499 for 5K monitor is cheaper than the 4K Sharp monitor that Apple sells in their store.

Rick, wouldn't you use the iMac and then the laptop as a monitor? I guess it depends on the specs.

Rick, wouldn't you use the iMac and then the laptop as a monitor? I guess it depends on the specs.

Actually, I would suggest that if you had a Mac Pro (not a MacBook Pro), you could use the iMac as a more capable and less expensive (than the Sharp 4K) monitor.

I'm not certain if the current line of MBPs can run a 4K (let alone a 5K) monitor or not. Someone would know better than me.

That's a good question, Rick.

Since the new iMac had to have a new, dedicated chip to run all those pixels, I'm guessing the answer is "no." I suppose there could be some workaround, where a Thunderbolt connection access the internal chip in the iMac.

I am waiting to see if Apple is also going to update its Cinema Display, which I would have figured would be updated first.

Official word from Apple:

"Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode. "

Source: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3924?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Well, that's a shame.

Yes, it is.

BTW, i just priced a maxed out iMac on the Apple store. Would you believe $4500?

Couple of things. I gained 92 G of space on my MBA.

Unfortunately, going Graphite in the System Pref doesn't change the folder colors, only buttons, menus, windows. The little colored buttons in the corner of each window all go gray. That's not subtle, it's boring! This is not a critical thing. I'd just like to see a little subtlety, not a gray-scale world. Guess I'll have to live with the !!!AQUA!!!

I'm considering a clean install. I'll see how things go for the next couple of days and then decide. Everything seems to be running well right now.

Dr J – I was expecting to hear about displays yesterday. It's been 1128 days since the last update according to MacRumors. That's is a long time. Won't Apple have to offer two different displays? Only the upper end desktops can run a 5K. I would love to have a better quality monitor to connect to my MBA when running in clamshell mode, but the Air can't do 5K. What about the non-pro folks? I'm feeling neglected . . . slighted . . . Well, not really, but I do want a better display.

Edited by Julie Falling
  • Like 1

It's not just an issue of the processor being able to handle all of the graphics information; there's an issue getting that much information to the display, and the displayport/thunderbolt ports can't carry it all. One advantage of having the display built into the iMac is that the info doesn't have to run through an external cable, which may be part of the reason they updated the iMac and not the cinema display.

Edit: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/17/retina-5k-imac-external-display-no/

Edited by JonathanHuber

Yes, it is.

BTW, i just priced a maxed out iMac on the Apple store. Would you believe $4500?

Yes, I did that, too :-)

Although I did spend more than that on a desktop Mac setup back in 2002, I definitely don't have something like that in my budget these days.

• Like 2

Yes, it is.

Wow! But that is peanuts compared to a maxed out Mac Pro. I think one of those tops out over $15,000. Both completely out of my league. Even if I won a lottery I've never entered, I wouldn't buy one for myself. For my husband, maybe.

I use the Dell UP2414Q 4K monitor. At under 24" it gives a much better retina experience than a larger size monitor (i.e. higher DPI). For any text it is simply superb! And you can get two of them for less than the price of a retina iMac, giving you 8K (if your graphics card can drive them both).

Well, $800 (New Egg) is much less expensive than $2499.

I use the Dell UP2414Q 4K monitor. At under 24" it gives a much better retina experience than a larger size monitor (i.e. higher DPI). For any text it is simply superb! And you can get two of them for less than the price of a retina iMac, giving you 8K (if your graphics card can drive them both).

Martin – To which Mac is your Dell monitor connected?

Well, $800 (New Egg) is much less expensive than $2499.

Cheaper from Amazon. And even cheaper if you have Amazon Prime.

Before = 121 G; after = 213 G. That is a gain of 92 GB! Haven't yet noticed any loss of data and everything seems to be working. Today will tell.

Wish i was that lucky I went from 13 free to 21... a nice savings but not too big.

-Dan

I'm holding off on Yosemite until a couple of mission-critical apps have fixed known bugs.

• Like 2

I'm holding off on Yosemite until a couple of mission-critical apps have fixed known bugs.

Same here - I'm currently writing on my Master's thesis, so I cannot afford any setbacks.

Me, too. Downloading iOS 8 right away taught me that lesson!