From search results back to pre-search text

RANorem

I'm new to Accordance so I apologize if this issue has been covered before. I have found no way to go from search results within a given text back to the pre-search text other than deleting the tab and re-starting the desired text in a new tab or window. Am I missing something here? I appreciate any help you can provide.

Double-clicking the Verses button should return you to the "all text" view of the window.

It does this by changing the search mode to Verses and executing a search for the asterisk (*) wildcard, which matches all verses. This behavior was new in 8.3, so make sure you're up-to-date with the program--the current version as of this post is 8.4.1.

Does that help?

Double-clicking the Verses button should return you to the "all text" view of the window.

It does this by changing the search mode to Verses and executing a search for the asterisk (*) wildcard, which matches all verses. This behavior was new in 8.3, so make sure you're up-to-date with the program--the current version as of this post is 8.4.1.

Does that help?

Yes, that does it. Thanks! I do have version 8.4.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that help?

I am also still new to Accordance so thanks for that tip. But, if I may commandeer this thread for a moment... is there a way to accomplish this:

1. Let's say I have an all text view open and I'm looking at Romans 3.

2. I do a quick search for something in the Greek. I'm no longer looking at Romans 3.

3. I'd like to resume what I was doing. If I double-click VERSES (or do a * search) I jump back to the beginning of the NT or the beginning of the Bible depending which txt I have selected. Now I have to remember where I was.

A) I suppose the "right" way is to do my quick search in another tab. Is there an alternative that let's me work within the same tab and accomplish this?

B) Alternatively, is there a keyboard shortcut to jump down to the Go-To box?

Sam,

You're looking at Romans 3 and you want to search for something you see in the Greek of that passage? The easiest way to do this is to select what you want more information about (e.g.: the word δικαιωθῇς in verse 4), then choose the resource you want to look that word up in from the Resource palette. Click the Search button on the Resource palette and a new tab will open and search for every occurrence of that lemma. When you're done, simply return to the tab containing your passage. We call this process of selecting something and getting more information about it "amplifying," and it will make your study incredibly streamlined and easy.

To jump down to the Go To box, hit tab twice. Hitting it once will select the search entry box (see today's blog post). Hitting it twice will select the Go To box.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,

You're looking at Romans 3 and you want to search for something you see in the Greek of that passage? The easiest way to do this is to select what you want more information about (e.g.: the word δικαιωθῇς in verse 4), then choose the resource you want to look that word up in from the Resource palette. Click the Search button on the Resource palette and a new tab will open and search for every occurrence of that lemma. When you're done, simply return to the tab containing your passage. We call this process of selecting something and getting more information about it "amplifying," and it will make your study incredibly streamlined and easy.

To jump down to the Go To box, hit tab twice. Hitting it once will select the search entry box (see today's blog post). Hitting it twice will select the Go To box.

Hope this helps.

So I read this, and I thought, "oh I knew that, why don't I do it?"

Now I remember. Let's say I amplify to the GNT-T. My new tab doesn't contain my ESV, crossrefs, commentaries, etc. So the new tab isn't ready to be used - and by the time I get it set with everything I wanted and adjust the text sizes for each pane, I've forgotten why I amplified in the first place. What am I doing wrong?

We have recently slightly modified the behavior, but in general, if you select and amplify from a pane displaying the search text, the new tab will contain all the panes that you have in the original tab. It's just if you select text in another pane that the enw tab only shows that text. Also, you can keep the second tab open after setting it up, and as long as the recycle symbol is left on it, and the conditions are the same, a repeat amplify to that text will reuse that tab.

We have recently slightly modified the behavior, but in general, if you select and amplify from a pane displaying the search text, the new tab will contain all the panes that you have in the original tab. It's just if you select text in another pane that the enw tab only shows that text. Also, you can keep the second tab open after setting it up, and as long as the recycle symbol is left on it, and the conditions are the same, a repeat amplify to that text will reuse that tab.

OK. I'm open to suggestions.

What I often find myself doing is searching the English text for a word or phrase, then wanting to jump from those results into studying the Greek or Hebrew. It seems that the default Accordance behavior for the way I'm trying to use it is to do the opposite of what I want to achieve. :/

SamH:

If you are "in" an English text, I would put in parallel panes a text with Key numbers and/or a tagged text of the original language. Then I would select the word or phrase of interest in the keyed or tagged text, and right-click. In the pop-up menu choose to search for key numbers (in a keyed text) or lemmas in a tagged text. In the new tab that opens you can add back the other panes and leave this tab open for your Greek or Hebrew word studies. Your original search is still there in the first tab. When you find another word of interest, simply repeat the above steps.

If this is not what you meant, please explain further.

SamH:

If you are "in" an English text, I would put in parallel panes a text with Key numbers and/or a tagged text of the original language. Then I would select the word or phrase of interest in the keyed or tagged text, and right-click. In the pop-up menu choose to search for key numbers (in a keyed text) or lemmas in a tagged text. In the new tab that opens you can add back the other panes and leave this tab open for your Greek or Hebrew word studies. Your original search is still there in the first tab. When you find another word of interest, simply repeat the above steps.

If this is not what you meant, please explain further.

Maybe I need pictures?

1. I have an ESV and a GNT-T pane among others in my default NT study setup. I'm in a hurry, so I do an English search for "king."

post-29839-126395025122_thumb.png

2. Checking the Greek for my search results, I come across an interesting word. I highlight it and Search for Lemma.

post-29839-12639504354_thumb.png

3. I get a new tab with only the GNT-T open. This the "expected" behavior in that I searched for English but Amplified from the Greek, if I understand your previous post?

post-29839-126395049424_thumb.png

4. INteresting, if I search from the English side...

post-29839-126395055229_thumb.png

5. I get a new tab with a bunch of panes which is not my default layout or anything I've created. Where did it get these panes? I mean I know they are modules I own, but why did Accordance open them?

post-29839-126395069523_thumb.png

Again, if I'm going about something the wrong way I'm open to changing how I do things. And while I chose some random words and a slightly out-of-normal set of steps to reproduce this to help pinpoint some things... my normal pattern is to have the default window open and be reading a passage in parallel Greek/English or Hebrew/English with various resources open, then have a desire to begin amplifying from the original languages. I don't want to have to recreate a layout every time I search (even if it's recycled during the session).

As I was thinking through this, I realized if I change my search text to GNT-T before I do my search for Lemma, I do get a new tab with multiple panes. But it's the same thing as with the English results... how is Accordance choosing the panes it loads into this new tab?

We had some inconsistencies and issues with trying to reproduce all the panes, so we had to limit it to reproducing the same panes when you amplify from the same text as the search text, and to the same text. That's why it reopens the same panes in the one instance and not in the others.

I think you need to save the session with both tabs as you like them, make it a favorite session, or your start-up session. These are all ways to avoid having to recreate the setup each time.

We had some inconsistencies and issues with trying to reproduce all the panes, so we had to limit it to reproducing the same panes when you amplify from the same text as the search text, and to the same text. That's why it reopens the same panes in the one instance and not in the others.

I think you need to save the session with both tabs as you like them, make it a favorite session, or your start-up session. These are all ways to avoid having to recreate the setup each time.

OK. It seems awkward to basically start with 4 tabs (I'd need one for OT search and one for NT search) but I suppose that's manageable.

Any idea why the tab opened from an English search is different?

As I said, it depends on which text is the search text, not on the language.

Sorry, I get that part. I mean why is the tab that opens up different from the search tab? Forget all the original language stuff. I'm wondering how is accordance choosing with panes to open when I stay within the same language? Specifically, why is it adding a NET pane to the new results when the originating search window did not have NET?

Your original window does have NET etc., these are the same panes, just a slightly different arrangement.

Your original window does have NET etc., these are the same panes, just a slightly different arrangement.

Well now I feel silly. I had replaced NET with a different resource, but that must have been on the OT side. Sorry!

Archived