old Josephus versification

danzac

I'm not sure if this classifies as a bug or a request. Many publications still use the old method of referencing Josephus, whereas Accordance (rightly) uses the new method, but adds the old way of reference in curly brackets.

My problem is that when searching for an old reference marker (when I come across when in reading) I cannot search for it in Accordance. So for instance, if I throw in Antiq.8.2.5 into Accordance as a word search (becuase it occurs in the text as {Antiq.8.2.5] ) Accordance asks to do a verse search instead. This aspect may simply be a bug.

What I'm wondering is if those old versifications can be recognized (like an alias) when pasted in as a verse search.

thanks, Danny

Edited by danzac

Danny,

Try doing a word search for "8 2 5".

• 4 weeks later...
Try doing a word search for "8 2 5".

This works, thanks. How come 8.2.5 doesn't work?

Because punctuation is ignored in Bible/Text searches, unless preceded by a period. I tried a double period but I think the proximity of the periods to the numerals is throwing that off.

• 4 years later...

After I upgraded to Accordance 10, I noticed that the verse references in Josephus (both English and Greek) no longer include the old Whiston references [8.5.2] in parentheses after the new Loeb classical library references [8.150]. Most of my readers, listeners, and students only have Whiston and depend on me to provide the old Whiston references in parentheses after the new Loeb classical references. How do I get those old references to show up again in my new Accordance 10 Josephus panes?

They should be in the English text, we are not sure how they got dropped but we will look into it.

• Like 1

The Whiston references do not seem to be in my English Josephus, which has been recently updated. I looked in the "Set Text Pane Display" for the English Text and it did not offer any option for displaying the old Whiston references alongside the Loeb classical (Thackeray) references. Somehow, when they did the latest update to the Josephus English text, they must have left the Whiston references out, or simply turned their display off?

Yes, we are working to restore the Whiston references to the English and add them to the Greek.

• Like 1

That is great to hear. Thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated.

Has there been any progress on resolving this issue with Josephus and the display of the old Whiston versification references in the new Accordance 10 application? I might also note that I am using Mac OS X 10.7.5 (LION) with the newly updated Accordance 10.1.1 version. My English Josephus module still has the same display problem. It does not show the old Whiston versification references beside the Loeb classical versification references.

Have you checked for content update? Both Greek and English versions were updated yesterday with Whiston versifications, and more accurate than before.

Thanks for pointing out the issue, they had been omitted in error.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I realize this is an old topic, but if it's of any help, I recently posted a cross-reference index to the two Josephus numbering systems. See my blog (sig should have have the url), 2/23/2013 posting date. If url links are allowed, try this link.

• Like 1

I realize this is an old topic, but if it's of any help, I recently posted a cross-reference index to the two Josephus numbering systems. See my blog (sig should have have the url), 2/23/2013 posting date. If url links are allowed, try this link.

Thanks, Rodney. Very useful. Much appreciated.

Edited by preterist1

• 8 years later...

Sometimes I receive a reference to a section of Josephus which follows the old Whiston referencing system. It is a pain trying to guess the corresponding Loeb reference (for example: Whiston "War 6.5.3" versus Loeb "War 6.300"). Is there any way to directly enter the Whiston reference number into the search box?

10 minutes ago, preterist1 said:

Sometimes I receive a reference to a section of Josephus which follows the old Whiston referencing system. It is a pain trying to guess the corresponding Loeb reference (for example: Whiston "War 6.5.3" versus Loeb "War 6.300"). Is there any way to directly enter the Whiston reference number into the search box?

Yes. Just select "Words" from the Search Entry Box and type in "6 5 3" without the quotes.

• Like 1

So, the search box (at the top of the workspace) treats the Whiston reference as a word in the text, and not as a verse reference. I was trying to enter it as a reference in the box down in the lower right corner of the workspace. Thanks for the tip. It worked. 

• Like 1