Is Hermeneia necessary

jhancock61

Is Hermeneia necessary if you already have several commentary sets including Word if you are not in the University or Seminary setting? I know it is a great deal, but I can only use so many sources :)

Thanks!

Jeff

• Like 1

Jeff, I've only worked with a couple of Hermeneia volumes, and that was a long time ago, but my memory is that Hermeneia is very technical--lots of discussion of original languages, etc. Not much in terms of application or what my preaching professor called the "hermeneutical arch"--connecting the Scriptures and exegesis to living out the faith in the here and now. They're on my list for an eventual purchase, but a lot of other things are a higher priority because they are more helpful for my current setting as a parish pastor in a small town.

• Like 3

Jeff, I've only worked with a couple of Hermeneia volumes, and that was a long time ago, but my memory is that Hermeneia is very technical--lots of discussion of original languages, etc. Not much in terms of application or what my preaching professor called the "hermeneutical arch"--connecting the Scriptures and exegesis to living out the faith in the here and now. They're on my list for an eventual purchase, but a lot of other things are a higher priority because they are more helpful for my current setting as a parish pastor in a small town.

Good point; I can only agree. For me, they would be a neat addition considering that I work with dead languages all the time for purely academic reasons. But it is very unlikely that they'll prove useful in a confessional context.

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

The junior pastor at my parish absolutely loves it.

-Dan

• Like 1

I'm certain that the pastors themselves will benefit from using Hermeneia - in the same manner that they'll benefit from learning Greek and Hebrew - but I think it's a different story for the churchgoers, unless they, too, are fond of doing comparative linguistic analysis. I believe that was Ms. Hoover's point as well, unless I'm mistaken.

Edited by Pchris
  • Like 1

I'd be inclined to suggest you get a single volume and compare it with what you have and find out if you are missing out on by not having it.

I am using one H vol., Attridge on Hebrews. Its very detailed and yes it does make frequent references to the Greek. It is extensively footnoted, the footnotes often taking half the printed page. Many are not so much to the Greek, but to research articles on the case under discussion. Attridge's Preface is interesting, his opening sentences being "To compose a commentary on a biblical text is both a challenge and a delight. A large part of the challenge is to enter into dialogue with a lengthy and complex scholarly tradition." He goes on to state that he believes he has not done full justice to all the views available. Nonetheless the footnotes indicate the breadth and depth of the research. It really does give one an amazing number of references to chase down should one wish to. The footnotes also cross reference to other passages in the corpora or in related corpora.

So the question is, to what extent is that sort of material of use to you beyond what you have now ? I have only briefly peeked at Lane on Hebrews (WBC) and it looked fine but I cannot give any reasonable comparison as I don't have it in front of me.

It's also worth reading the foreward by the editors. One paragraph shows the orientation, " Hermeneia is designed for the serious student of the Bible. It will make full use of ancient Semitic and classical languages; at the same time, English translations of all comparative materials - Greek, Latin, Canaanite, or Akkadian - will be supplied alongside the citation of the source in its original language. Insofar as possible, the aim is to provide the student or scholar with a full critical discussion of each problem of interpretation and with the primary data upon which the discussion is based."

So if you like chasing up research to confirm or otherwise, but nonetheless to investigate fully what is presented H would seem to give you a great deal a play with. I'm not so far along with H on Hebrews to offer you much more I'm afraid. I bought the copy I have second hand in hardcover in part to determine whether purchase of the full set was interesting to me. Still working on that one ....

Thx

D

Jeff, to answer your question, I would say no.

That said, the volumes for Sermon on the Mount and Matthew 1-7 were very helpful for me when preaching through those chapters earlier this year.

Personally I love the volume on 1 Peter, and on Luke, which lists so many different interpretations of the parables of Jesus, through centuries, and through different denominations/movements.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great feedback! I would say that as useful as it probably is, H is probably not a resource that I personally would receive enough benefit at this time to justify the purchase. I have so many other commentaries and resources available that it gets kind of overwhelming at times to effectively use all that I have.

Great points brought out by all

Thanks!

...I have so many other commentaries and resources available that it gets kind of overwhelming at times to effectively use all that I have....

I can relate! So some weeks I just don't use all I have. :)