Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic Words Translated into English

stigall77

My apologies up front if this has been asked before. I wasn't sure how to search for the issue and didn't find an answer after a (very) quick perusal of the forum.

Is there a way to see how different English translations of the Bible render words in the original language? For example, is it possible for me to search the NIV for the word "grant*" and see what Greek words are translated as "grant*" in the NT? Is it possible to do this search for a number of translations to compare how words are translated?

Thanks

Josh

Any text tagged with Key numbers, such as NIV11-GK, will do this. You search on your word and choose Analysis from the Analytics button (icon representing a bar chart right above the text panes). This will list the key numbers, the original words, and the count of each one.

It would be a lot more difficult to compare several translations at once, as the Analysis is based on the search of the one tab. However, you can use the Search All to find a specific use and compare the number of Hits in each text with a search entry like [KEY H5414]@grant which will find every use of this key number (ntn) where it is translated grant.

I highly recommend that you watch the podcasts and consult the Help files on the use of key numbers. There is so much more that you can do with them.

Helen is completely correct, and I had a go at doing a comparison. You can't do it directly, but you know, you can get fairly close.

If you make 3 workspaces and then link the 2nd and third workspaces to the first one you can search any 3 (or more) texts for the same KEY number. This does not work if you try to use difference keying systems (so you can't mix G/K and S key systems, or at least you can't and expect them to give you sensible results.)

If you then do an Analysis Word Count on each workspace you can then drag the analyses into a separate workspace and line them up side by side. The good thing about this is that if you change the KEY search number, all the analyses update immediately. (and you only have to change the first KEY search - in my case here the ESVS - and press return.)

If you save this as a session you can then open this setup again at any time and obviate all the tedious setup. The shortcomings are that 1. A lot of space is wasted in toolbars (depending on your setting for this) and 2. You don't get cross highlighting as you would in a parallel pane.

If this is not clear, I am happy to make a little screen cap video to help.

post-29509-0-11675600-1410438548_thumb.png

Sure - try this!

Comparison of version translations.mp4.zip

I have also added my saved session using KJVS and ESVS which everyone should have

Just unzip it and double click it.

If there's enough interest I'll put it on the Exchange.

comparison.accord.zip

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hey Josh,

I just read your OP again and noticed that you asked "see what Greek words are translated as "grant*" in the NT". If you want to see what Greek words are translated into English as "grant" in one or other form you can do this search in an English text tagged with Strong's keys ESVS etc.: [KEY G*]@grant The G* will just limit it to the NT by virtue of the fact that Greek keys (G*) only appear in the NT. If you do [KEY *]@grant you will get both Greek and Hebrew words that are translated into some form the English "grant". You can see the details either in the instant details pane or in the Analysis tab. For the first above I get this from the ESVS :

Total number of verses = 26
(total number of verses displayed = 26)

[KEY G*]@grant [Flex] (26 total words)

Grant = 1
G1325 didomi δίδωμι = 1
grant = 11
G1325 didomi δίδωμι = 11
granted = 13
G1096 ginomai γίνομαι = 1
G1325 didomi δίδωμι = 4
G1433 doreomai δωρέομαι = 3
G1519 eis εἰς = 1
G3670 homologeo ὁμολογέω = 1
G5483 charizomai χαρίζομαι = 3
granting = 1
G1325 didomi δίδωμι = 1

G1519 is a bit odd and could be a tagging issue. Some of the others would be a bit strange also but that's the joy of translation.

You can then open other tabs and use the link trick that Ken shows to run the same search in multiple texts. Setting the tabs side by side will get you comparative highlights which should help. This will show you how different translators got "grant" variants from which Greek words.

But if you instead want to see how another translation handles the same translation issue I would instead use this query in the second tab: [CONTENTS tabname] <AND> [HITS=k tabname]

where tabname in both cases is the original tab where you did the search for "grant".

This will show you how the same verses were translated by different versions from the same Greek original. The addition of HITS=k really only serves to highlight the words in each tab for easier comparison. (While this will give you a comparison of multiple words being handled in multiple translations it will also introduce a few vagueries where the same verse happens to have more than one of the Greek words from the original tab, but where in the original it was not translated to a form of "grant".)

The only other thing that is that I cannot do this on NIV as I don't have it. And the HITS=k thing will only really work if the keys are the same in each translation. I don't believe G/K and Strongs keys are comparable.

Thx

D