Reasoning behind NA27th

Julia Falling

Is there anywhere I can find what was the reasoning behind the changes? Most have no effect on the meaning – spelling, inclusion or omission of the article or kai/. But I am perplexed about the change in 1Pet 4:16 ojno/mati —> me÷rei. Is there anything available in Accordance, on the web, or in the bookstore that would help me understand the thinking behind the changes (especially this one)?

Thanks!

Hmmm... interesting Julie.

The GNT-TRS has me÷rei though WH and TIS do not. Its interesting to compare KJV translation derived from TR and ESVS from GNT (I guess) and see how the sense varies.

Not very enlightening (at least not to me) is : http://intf.uni-muenster.de/NA28/files/TextChangesNA28.pdf. But it points to another text I'd not heard of ECM. I wonder what they might mean. Oh - its the Editio Critica Maior. Ooops - should have guessed that I suppose. So it might be interesting what the ECM says in its treatment of this.

Sorry - not much help.

Thx

D

Daniel – There really isn't much help out there than I can find. Thanks for the link. Sure would like to know what those folks were thinking!

WBC has the following comment from 1 Peter

e The majority of later MSS (including K L π) have me÷rei, “matter,” at this point, although the earliest and best MSS (including 72 å A B) have ojno/mati, “name.” It is hard to see why, if ojno/mati were original, it would have been changed to me÷rei. On the other hand, an alteration of the colorless me÷rei to ojno/mati is quite conceivable in light of the e˙n ojno/mati Cristouv of v 14. This appears to be a rare instance in which the majority text preserves an original reading which the earlier and usually more reliable MSS have altered.

Ok - for someone who claims not to be into text crit. really I spend too much time poking at these questions :) Oh well - a dead cat in the making no doubt.

So I found this assessment of the ECM : http://www.academia.edu/3633883/Editio_Critica_Maior_An_Introduction_and_Assessment. I have not more than skimmed this. But I suspect that understanding the method employed will be helpful but its probably not simple - Coherence-Based Genealogical Method . Anyhow this article just happens to used the case you mention as an example on page 144 and explains the reasoning. I have tried multiple times to cut and paste this in here but I cannot as the formatting messes up badly.

Thx

D

Thanks, guys. That really does shed some light on this change. Thanks for doing the digging. Those of us who aren't scholars could really need use an updated Comfort! Anyway, their argument does make some sense. I'm not as bewildered by the change as I was when I first looked at the manuscript evidence.

Steve – I've got WBC-NT and didn't even think to look there. Thanks for going to the trouble of finding it.

Daniel – You're right about the formatting of the ECM – I can usually save that sort of thing, but it came out with lines on top of lines. I've sent the link to my geeky son. Maybe he can figure out how to do it.

Edit: Looks like downloading isn't allowed for those who aren't members. I did copy just the pertinent clip to save and put in my notes. It agrees with WBC. That's a good sign. Understanding to some extent the reason for the change gives me even more confidence in the text. I'm frankly impressed with the scholarship and the care taken by the NA28th committee, and with the thoroughness of WBC.

Edited by Julie Falling