Different results from apparently similar construct and command searches

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

While researching the ἐκ δεξιῶν idiom I ran a construct search and a command search for the same thing. I don't really even remember why. Anyhow here are the two searches :

* <FOLLOWED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> δεξιος

and

post-32023-0-72199300-1382500745_thumb.jpg

Now the first gives 54 hits (well actually 108 - more in a minute) and the second 53. The odd man out is :

Gal. 2:9 καὶ γνόντες τὴν χάριν τὴν δοθεῖσάν μοι, Ἰάκωβος καὶ Κηφᾶς καὶ Ἰωάννης, οἱ δοκοῦντες στῦλοι εἶναι, δεξιὰς ἔδωκαν ἐμοὶ καὶ Βαρναβᾷ κοινωνίας, ἵνα ἡμεῖς εἰς τὰ ἔθνη, αὐτοὶ δὲ εἰς τὴν περιτομήν·

Question 1 : Why is this included in the command search and not the construct ? Incidently, "search both directions" is unchecked. I am wondering if the comma has anything to do with it.

Question 2 : Constructs and command searches appear to count differently. I am assuming that the hit count in the construct case is "per construction". Is that so ?

Thx

D

Yes, the comma is being counted as a word. Yes, the count of the construct is the number of phrases, whereas in the search entry with commands it does count each hit word.

Thanx Helen, so it seems that the comma is only considered a word in the case of the construct search, not the command search. That's a little unexpected. Is that generally true of punctuation between the two search types ? I'm guessing from your response that this is not bug but intentional.

thx

D