About AYBD Alternatives and complimentary tools

davidmedina

I am starting to budget for my next purchase. It's going to be Bible Dictionary. I have been reading upon some of the choices and I know many here favor the AYBD.

Is there a good alternative to the AYBD?

If I were to purchase the AYBD, which other dictionary would you guys and gals recommend as a good compliment?

I already own the ISBE and the IVP series.

I am considering either as a alternative or/and compliment to the AYBD:

• New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology
  • The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis
  • The Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament and New Testament
  • Zondervan Encyclopedia of the Bible
  • The New International Dictionary: Old and New Testament

If there is one I haven't consider but should let me know.

A little background:

I am looking for comprehensive tools to help me go deeper in my Bible study and to prepare to lead Bible studies, specially with people, places and things as well as background. I am not in Seminary, although I do would love to be able to attend but the cost is to high. I am taking as many free courses online as I can. Nor I am a pastor. I am Evangelical-conservative with Reformed tendencies, So I prefer tools along those lines but I don't mind study different point of views to mine.

Really appreciate your opinions.

For what you're describing, I'd go with the New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible over everything in your bulleted list. It's not reformed, nor is it evangelical per se, but it might be a little more on the "evangelical" side than Anchor. Certainly it's excellent scholarship. I trust it and use it (I have a hard copy) whenever possible. I find it a touch more accessible than the Yale Anchor Dictionary (which is also good).

Hi David,

Based on your goals for teaching and modules that you already have, ISBE and the IVP Series dictionaries, consider the following:

1. Carta's The Sacred Bridge (pricey but I've heard great things about it - read some reviews here)

2. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (currently on sale)

3. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament (currently on sale)

4. An Introduction to / Survey of the OT and the NT, such as:

Introduction to the New Testament (Carson & Moo) (currently on sale) Edit: Ok, the prices are marked red on my browser, but the list price is not given. It's not on sale then?

Introduction to the Old Testament (Dillard & Longman) (currently on sale) Edit: not on sale?

A Survey of the Old Testament (Hill & Walton)

A Survey of the New Testament (Gundry)

David

Edit: Consider using commentaries for teaching as well. What commentaries do you have?

Edited by David_Bailey

• 7 months later...

Hi David, I want to tell you that since I bought the ISBE and the IVP dictionaries, I don't find so compelling anymore the NIDOTTE or NIDNTT, which I was really fond of for a quite while.

After I explore a topic, starting from ISBE + IVP, I find very helpful to use those:

Lately I'm using also the Hermeneia commentary set to expand ideas beyond my evangelical fences.

Plus I love to find interesting question in the SIL Exegetical Summary series , which is not in accordance ( http://www.sil.org/resources/publications/ess )

Thanks.

David